First time

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I am having my first algae problem in nearly five years of reefing. I have been getting some hair algae...not a ton but enough to bother me.

My Nitrates are .8 and my Phosphates are .03. Not sure if I should push my Phosphates lower due to some being consumed by the algae. I really dont want to trade hair algae for Dinos.

I run GFO and an Algae Scrubber.

I have a decent size clean up crew and have cut feeding back for two weeks now but it seems to keep coming back... Looking for any advice. I am trying to avoid integrating any chemicals.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I'm asking is if it's easily manageable by manual removal, then I would just keep doing that. As you're aware, your numbers are fine and dandy and dinos are the worst. Any significant tweaking in chasing parameters is very likely to have unintended consequences. You already have an algae scrubber (which is best defense against GHA takeover) but if it's older or undersized maybe you want to upgrade that or run two (which is nice way to do it, always have one with max growth). Also, even the ATS pros say you can run a smaller ATS if no outbreak than when you have one.

If it's wide spread breakout, then I'd definitely go with another or upgraded ATS. Maybe even just a smaller HOB upflow that can add just a bit more boost. You're not really looking to drop nutrients as you already have significant take up, you're just wanting to out compete the breakout.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I'm asking is if it's easily manageable by manual removal, then I would just keep doing that. As you're aware, your numbers are fine and dandy and dinos are the worst. Any significant tweaking in chasing parameters is very likely to have unintended consequences. You already have an algae scrubber (which is best defense against GHA takeover) but if it's older or undersized maybe you want to upgrade that or run two (which is nice way to do it, always have one with max growth). Also, even the ATS pros say you can run a smaller ATS if no outbreak than when you have one.

If it's wide spread breakout, then I'd definitely go with another or upgraded ATS. Maybe even just a smaller HOB upflow that can add just a bit more boost. You're not really looking to drop nutrients as you already have significant take up, you're just wanting to out compete the breakout.

Its dispersed all over the tank but not like a 10/10 terrible, more like a 4-5. I've definitely seen worse.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have some success with dipping pieces of rock I could remove with H2O2. That was largely temporary but did help to knock it down when I started my ATS a couple years ago. I still have 4 or 5 places that have GHA but it's tufted up really nice and takes 5 minutes to remove on a cleaning. Be careful with the H2O2, ended up bothering some corals that never recovered - ask me how to kill GSP now. :)

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your cleanup crew? In my experience, nothing is more effective at eating hair algae than urchins. They do not prefer fully grown tufts, but if you knock it back with manual removal, they will eat the new growth before it grows back.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your cleanup crew? In my experience, nothing is more effective at eating hair algae than urchins. They do not prefer fully grown tufts, but if you knock it back with manual removal, they will eat the new growth before it grows back.

Two urchins, some blue leg hermits and a mixture of Turbo and Trochus Snails.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back