First Timer, Hunter

ReeferHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone out there, my name is Hunter. I'm 21, from California, and I'm completely new to reef tanks. I have spent about a month studying on and off about everything I would need to know to set up a beautiful reef. I first purchased a 40 gallon aquarium from a local store but was not pleased with his selection of equipment. I then ventured to LAX Aquarium here in Los Angeles, which so happens to be right near LAX airport. The guys there were super helpful and after much thought I decided to purchase the RedSea Reefer E-MAXX170. The tank was expensive but I felt that since I am a beginner that it would be a better route, as a more all in one package. Then after more research I made a hefty purchase on MarineDepot buying an ATO, RO/DI system, all testing water parameter equipment, media reactors, and a Vortex MP-10 wireless with battery backup. I currently have 2 Ocellaris clown fish, a cleaner skunk shrimp, 1 pulsing Xenia (that I was very happy to find in store), 1 palythoa, and a Neon Green Bubble Tip Anemone that recently got caught in the MP-10:(. The anemone seems to be recovering okay, however it was not pretty. I look forward to learning from all of this communities knowledge.
IMG_1397.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I did the cave! Thanks for sharing. Please keep us updated with your tank with lots of photos! ;)

OP
OP
ReeferHunter

ReeferHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the family, Hunter! I’m in San Pedro if you ever have any questions!!
Sweet man if you could answer this question now that would be great. The clowns I purchased yesterday don't seem to be able to eat the pellet food I got from Marine Depot as a gift, its from Cobalt Aquatics and its called Mysis Spirulina. I can tell the pellets are to big so I cut them down but the fish attempt to chase down the sinking pellet but then don't actually eat the pellet.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet man if you could answer this question now that would be great. The clowns I purchased yesterday don't seem to be able to eat the pellet food I got from Marine Depot as a gift, its from Cobalt Aquatics and its called Mysis Spirulina. I can tell the pellets are to big so I cut them down but the fish attempt to chase down the sinking pellet but then don't actually eat the pellet.
Try cutting them smaller and then soak them in some aquarium water for a few minutes, the pellets may be to hard for them to take in.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to reef2reef! Try a good quality flake or try some quality frozen food. LRS is a great frozen!

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try cutting them smaller and then soak them in some aquarium water for a few minutes, the pellets may be to hard for them to take in.
Completely agree. Sometimes fish are just picky eaters when it comes to pellets too.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! A guard on your power heads will be your best friend if you decide to keep nems...and I have found the foam that vortech supply's is not effecient at keeping nems out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back