First timer

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have some newbie questions for you guys. I just bought my 1st camera that’s not a cell phone. I purchased a Canon Rebel T7 with the 18-55mm lens and the 75-300mm lens. I know this definitely isn’t high end equipment, but figured it would be a good starter. I also ordered the Avast porthole as well.
I want to order a tripod for top down shots, but don’t know if it will work with the legs extended not allowing it to be right up to the tank. Opinions??
Also, could anyone recommend the right lens and setting to photograph my corals? How do I get rid of all the blues? Do I need a macro lens?
I know it’s a lot of questions, but I don’t know anything about camera settings and I’m kind of overwhelmed.
Thanks

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your.gonna have to play with your fancy new camera and the settings. Im sure theirs a photo section or.photo ppl on here who will chime in.

Most.people.now days use ths s20+ and a orange filter.screen. lol
D

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tricky to use the tripod for top down shots unless its tall enough to have horizontal bar go above tank. Risk of tripod topping over is a bit bigger on top down down shots so keep that in mind.
I do my top down shots mostly handheld supporting my hands in top bracing or glass. 75-300 might be a bit too long for tank use so focus on 18-55 and see if results u get are what you want, what ur missing will guide ur next lense purchase.

DustinLP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canon’s top of the line macro lens is 100mm and the one I use for my coral shots. So I think your 75-300 will be the way to go. I agree with the gentleman above that you can for sure hand hold the camera. Put your camera in aperture priority mode. Put your F stop at between 2.8 and 5 with and set your iso to auto and you will be in business. As for the blue light you can either buy an orange filter or correct it with the white balance setting with whatever software you use to edit your photos.

OP
OP
sevitz5

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Canon 55mm f/2.5 macro lens as well. I know it’s definitely not high end, but want to see what it will do for me. Thanks guys

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back