First velvet outbreak questions

WyoReefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a long week with severe weather and I have been stuck at work since last Saturday and I’ve been enlisting the help of my buddy to keep my fish fed when he can get over to my place. Yesterday he said one of the fish didn’t look so good and he FaceTimed me and showed me and my yellow tang indeed has velvet but my other fish looked fine for now. I had to break down my QT tank to fix a leak about 2 weeks ago (perfect timing). So I guess my question is with this being my first time dealing with velvet what are the odds of me being to save any of my fish. I’m trying to get home in the morning but the weather started to turn bad again and I was told by our contact with the highway patrol that the roads are drifting in again. I’m assuming I’m not going to be able to save any of my fish but if anybody that has more experience with velvet has any insight that would be much appreciated!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Medic is reef safe and is something you can try (and fairly easy to use). It won't necessarily save your fish, but since you're trying to coordinate this remotely it might be your best option to buy you some time.

I've used it with a bad velvet outbreak and it did save 2/3s of my fish. Best of luck (and drive safe!)

OP
OP
WyoReefer92

WyoReefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to look into that. I would have to order it online though as my area is small with no local LFS. Would it be too late by the time it arrived?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to look into that. I would have to order it online though as my area is small with no local LFS. Would it be too late by the time it arrived?
Depends on if you can find it on Amazon Prime and have it delivered this weekend. Do you have any UV on your system?

Velvet spreads very quick. Like 24-48 hours and then fish are dropping dead kind of quick. If the fish have velvet it looks like they've been dipped in powdered sugar.

OP
OP
WyoReefer92

WyoReefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to check Amazon and see if it’s available. And I don’t have any uv set up on this tank. I’m going to be setting up a 150 gallon tank later this year that I have a uv sterilizer in a pile of stuff for it in the garage but I don’t know how helpful that is in my current situation not being able to get home to try and hook it all up

Back