First water change in over a year

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t done water changes to my 32 gallon Biocube in over a year. I’ve been successful with dosing 2 part and Trace, until I haven’t lol and I’ve been having a bad algae outbreak as a result. My tank is pretty well established, close to 2 years old. I have probably 25 gallons of water in the tank. How much should I water change initially?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad algae out breaks don’t have anything to do with water changes. If the cause is high nutrients then there are several ways to lower them other than water changes. I haven’t done water changes either in a while too and get occasional algae outbreaks but I address the issue and work on it.
However to answer your question a 20% water change is ideal

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t done water changes to my 32 gallon Biocube in over a year. I’ve been successful with dosing 2 part and Trace, until I haven’t lol and I’ve been having a bad algae outbreak as a result. My tank is pretty well established, close to 2 years old. I have probably 25 gallons of water in the tank. How much should I water change initially?
You're probably fine with with doing a 10gallon change to start off. Generally I think the best option would be to do a 10G and clean out and syphon the algae as good as you can and then try and get back onto a nice water change schedule of 5 gallons a week for awhile. After that maybe try and do them once a month so you can stay ahead of it happening again.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad algae out breaks don’t have anything to do with water changes. If the cause is high nutrients then there are several ways to lower them other than water changes. I haven’t done water changes either in a while too and get occasional algae outbreaks but I address the issue and work on it.
However to answer your question a 20% water change is ideal
The thing is my parameters are good. I have phosphate maintained with GFO at .05-.15 ish, i test once a month and it’s always between there. Noticeable algae for me builds up at .35+
Nitrates at 2-15 as well.
that’s why I was figuring it was a trace issue or something related to water changes.
You're probably fine with with doing a 10gallon change to start off. Generally I think the best option would be to do a 10G and clean out and syphon the algae as good as you can and then try and get back onto a nice water change schedule of 5 gallons a week for awhile. After that maybe try and do them once a month so you can stay ahead of it happening again.
good plan. I’m very busy and water changes tend to go to the wayside a lot, so I found a successful method for holding it off, but I think I held it off too long. I’ll try this out

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is my parameters are good. I have phosphate maintained with GFO at .05-.15 ish, i test once a month and it’s always between there. Noticeable algae for me builds up at .35+
Nitrates at 2-15 as well.
that’s why I was figuring it was a trace issue or something related to water changes.

good plan. I’m very busy and water changes tend to go to the wayside a lot, so I found a successful method for holding it off, but I think I held it off too long. I’ll try this out
It happens! How's your clean up crew looking? Just getting back into a good routine with nice CC will help things get back on track. If the corals are looking good still then don't rush anything. Just take your time and try and help guide the tank back to it's glory days!

Doing more routine WCs can help with trace element issues as well.

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried about doing too much of a water change initially or should i just do a regular water change like I used to do
I think 20-25% should be fine to start. Or maybe just get back into the hang of 5Gs each week for a bit. As long as salinity and alk and stuff are the same you should be fine.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens! How's your clean up crew looking? Just getting back into a good routine with nice CC will help things get back on track. If the corals are looking good still then don't rush anything. Just take your time and try and help guide the tank back to it's glory days!

Doing more routine WCs can help with trace element issues as well.
Clean up crew is good, only problem is something in the tank is killing them, pretty sure it’s the emerald crab, but it could be something else like initial die offs. Not overly worried about it for now, just part of maintaining is replenishing. Algae isn’t getting much better when I add them though. Some corals are suffering right now from issues not related to water changes, but not doing them is surely not helping.

AKay3600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew is good, only problem is something in the tank is killing them, pretty sure it’s the emerald crab, but it could be something else like initial die offs. Not overly worried about it for now, just part of maintaining is replenishing. Algae isn’t getting much better when I add them though. Some corals are suffering right now from issues not related to water changes, but not doing them is surely not helping.
Try a turbo snail or an urchin. Those generally are better at eating green hair algae. I find the smaller snails are good at diatoms and film algae but not the best at longer established algaes.

Getting some nice fresh water in there will hopefully help out with the corals as well. Just take it slow, clean a rock a WC, don't go too crazy all at once and after a few weeks things should be looking up!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back