Fish 6 & 7, final two fish for 56G, what would you chose?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either Mccoskers and Black cap Basslet?

or

Pair of designer clowns?

Are clowns boring?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else do you have already? It's hard to advise without knowing as the wrasse and dotty fill different areas than clowns would but you might already have something that fills that area.

Assuming you don't, the wrasse and dotty would be my choice but people get really attached to clowns. Also don't worry if people think your fish are boring, if you like and enjoy them it's all that matters. I have a pair of black foot skunk clowns which most people would overlook but they are so interactive and entertaining to me.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be boring, or not, depends. They're aggressive, that's for sure. I had a pair in a 120g that were awesome. They would pick snails and crabs up off the rock near the area they hosted, swim them across the tank and drop them off, lol. Probably the most entertaining fish I ever owned. They were black saddle clowns, didn't look like anything special. Had other pairs that would bite my hand when I worked in the tank as well. Generally they don't bother other fish though, IME. I also like clowns because they'll spawn in a tank once they mature, which is interesting to see.

Keep in mind wrasse have a tendency to be jumpers as well. Never had a basslet, but they are nice looking fish. Pick the one that most interests you for whatever reason; colors, activity level, size, etc.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree^^^^^^^ Gotta know what else is in there, and a FTS please:)

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellowhead jaw
Tail spot blenny
Timor wrasse

in as of now

Will also add
Flame hawk
leapard toby

Tank is 36x18X21

Last edited:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are colorful and can be fine, but to me they are the "dime a dozen" fish of the saltwater hobby. I did have a snowflake occ and it was a complete butthead to it's tankmates (and I added it last and it was captive bred to boot). My Melanurus Wrasse gave the little jerk what for after it tried to bully it though. :D One of the many reasons I would take just about any wrasse over a clownfish any day of the week.

Here is a vid of the clown with the other fish I had, if you watch you can see the wrasse give the clown a reminder nip:

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FTS. Jawfish on the right set up comfatably

Timor and TS Blenny in QT

I had to look up FTS, lol. Timor and TS blenny both in QT. Jawfish comfortably set up on the right

IMG_0123.jpg

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going by the rock you have I can't see any caves. If there aren't any then the black cap might not feel secure. You have a lot of character fish already with the jaw, hawk and Toby puffer, plus these will hang out towards the bottom of the tank. So I would look for fish that stay higher like the flasher wrasse you mention or if your lucky the clowns.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add your flame hawk and then wait a while to ensure you can control nutrients

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made cave. It's bigger than it looks in the photo

So if I have Jaw, TS blenny, Timor wrasse, Mccoskers, leapard Toby, B cap basslett, Flame hawk, is that too many in the lower portion of tank?

IMG_0128.jpg

Last edited:

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made cave. It's bigger than it looks in the photo

So if I have Jaw, TS blenny, Timor wrasse, Mccoskers, leapard Toby, B cap basslett, Flame hawk, is that too many in the lower portion of tank?

IMG_0128.jpg

I think it is fine.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll think you'll be fine with that eventual list as well, when the tanks matured a bit. I would however advise if you can to add a few more caves or overhangs (you might already have the but it's hard to see from a 2d picture) as the black cap and leopard like darker areas (leopards are deeper water so don't like really bright lighting, at least to begin with). Nice interesting fish choice though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back