Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a question, I've had my fish in QT since 10 march. I've had a few losses since, but the 3 Bartlett Anthias i have in there have been through 1 course of Prazi, and then light copper until full therapeutic copper as of 2nd April.

If no signs of ich/velvet have been shown on these healthy fish the entire time i've had them, is it safe to say that all the ich/velvet has been eradicated from the QT tank? Basically what i am wondering is, if the 30+ whatever day life cycle has passed, and i have never seen any presentation of symptoms on the fish, does that mean these fish were never infected? If they were never infected, but were exposed to ich/velvet in whatever form, is it possible that the fish resisted the adult phase of the parasite and thus never allowed it to reproduce to create free swimmers? Or is it possible for the parasites to still progress through their lifecycle as long as there are fish in the tank, even if those fish didn't get infected?

Hopefully my question makes sense to the pros!

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a question, I've had my fish in QT since 10 march. I've had a few losses since, but the 3 Bartlett Anthias i have in there have been through 1 course of Prazi, and then light copper until full therapeutic copper as of 2nd April.

If no signs of ich/velvet have been shown on these healthy fish the entire time i've had them, is it safe to say that all the ich/velvet has been eradicated from the QT tank? Basically what i am wondering is, if the 30+ whatever day life cycle has passed, and i have never seen any presentation of symptoms on the fish, does that mean these fish were never infected? If they were never infected, but were exposed to ich/velvet in whatever form, is it possible that the fish resisted the adult phase of the parasite and thus never allowed it to reproduce to create free swimmers? Or is it possible for the parasites to still progress through their lifecycle as long as there are fish in the tank, even if those fish didn't get infected?

Hopefully my question makes sense to the pros!

Thanks
In general terms, the parasite can progress through its lifecycle with no visible indications on the fish.

In your specific case, your fish should be parasite free at this point. You could safely transfer them to a clean QT and call it a proper treatment. If you don't move the fish out of the system while at full therapuetic copper levels it is important to maintain the copper at those levels for the full 30 days before removing the copper. Copper will kill the free swimming theronts very quickly. It takes longer term exposure to kill any encysted tomonts.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need some help I have a 60 gallon cube that I set up years ago before I knew about properly qting fish. I only have a pair of clowns left from the fist fish I added. I think there is some type of disease or virus in the tank but I have never seen any real sigh of anything. I have lost every fish I have added to the tank. I just lost a mystery wrasse that I put through 45 day of qt, so I know the fish was healthy when it went into the tank. The wrasse was in the tank for about 4 months so what ever it is must be very slow acting. All the parameters of the tank are great. My question is how long would I need to go fish free to make sure there is absolutely nothing in the tank? Also I have not seen any aggression in the tank. The clowns are still to young to be aggressive towards anything.

Any help would be greatly apprecated

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cody hendrix Sounds like you have a latent disease lingering in the tank. One the clownfish have developed an immunity to, but are still possible carriers.

I would QT the clowns and use copper + metronidazole to remove any parasites. After that, deworm them using Prazipro. That should give you a clean slate.

As for the DT, I would go fallow (fishless) for 76 days to starve any diseases out of there.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on creating a similar chart for dewormers? I've had a few wrasses likely die in QT from Prazipro, while API General Cure seems to treat them better. Be nice to see similar info on other commonly used treatments that have some species specific sensitivities.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on creating a similar chart for dewormers? I've had a few wrasses likely die in QT from Prazipro, while API General Cure seems to treat them better. Be nice to see similar info on other commonly used treatments that have some species specific sensitivities.

The prazi is stronger than the prazi dose that’s in GC.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prazi is stronger than the prazi dose that’s in GC.
Yeah, I have figured that out the hard way. Only treating wrasses with GC from now on. I'd be interested in knowing if this is a problem for other fish as well, or if it's really just wrasses. I used to think Prazi was safe for all fish... Famous last words.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have figured that out the hard way. Only treating wrasses with GC from now on. I'd be interested in knowing if this is a problem for other fish as well, or if it's really just wrasses. I used to think Prazi was safe for all fish... Famous last words.

I never had a problem with it but the great humblefish say it’s so and many others also had the same problem as you. So to be safe I use GC but if I don’t have it at the time I use prazi as I always have it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros & cons of using General Cure vs. Prazipro.

General Cure

Pros:
  • Gentler on most fish due to lower praziquantel concentration (2.0mg/L)
  • Includes metronidazole which is useful for treating brook, uronema, intestinal worms
  • Unlikely to cause a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) when mixed with other medications
Cons:
  • Less effective against prazi resistant worms
  • Not easily water soluble (Best to pour the powder into a brine shrimp net, partially submerge, gently knead so fine particles drift out into the aquarium. Continue until all has been expressed into the water.)
Prazipro

Pros:
  • More effective against prazi resistant worms
  • Dissolves easily in water (can be poured right in)
Cons:
  • Harsher/more side effects due to higher concentration of praziquantel (2.5mg/L)
  • Can cause a bacterial bloom/low oxygen when mixed with other meds, due to the Oxybispropanol it contains
FWIW; 2.0mg/L praziquantel is considered therapeutic for treating skin & gill flukes + turbellarians. However, if General Cure fails you try treating with Prazipro before moving on to hyposalinity or formalin to address prazi resistant flukes or turbellarians (black ich).

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get the fish I have in my qt tank I will be getting a broom tail Wrasse that I need to qt. I have had CP in the tank, what is the best way to get all of the CP out of the tank? Will I be able to use the Marine pure?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get the fish I have in my qt tank I will be getting a broom tail Wrasse that I need to qt. I have had CP in the tank, what is the best way to get all of the CP out of the tank? Will I be able to use the Marine pure?

Run carbon for 24 hours.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back