Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need some help I have a 60 gallon cube that I set up years ago before I knew about properly qting fish. I only have a pair of clowns left from the fist fish I added. I think there is some type of disease or virus in the tank but I have never seen any real sigh of anything. I have lost every fish I have added to the tank. I just lost a mystery wrasse that I put through 45 day of qt, so I know the fish was healthy when it went into the tank. The wrasse was in the tank for about 4 months so what ever it is must be very slow acting. All the parameters of the tank are great. My question is how long would I need to go fish free to make sure there is absolutely nothing in the tank? Also I have not seen any aggression in the tank. The clowns are still to young to be aggressive towards anything.

Any help would be greatly apprecated

@Humblefish I was finally able to get the fish out into a qt tank. I am pretty sure at this point it is a bacterial infection. I am going to us furan-2 kanoplex and metroplex. When using them all together what doses should I use?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I was finally able to get the fish out into a qt tank. I am pretty sure at this point it is a bacterial infection. I am going to us furan-2 kanoplex and metroplex. When using them all together what doses should I use?

Follow the dosing instructions on the labels. Kanaplex + Furan-2 you want to dose at the same time; Metro you can wait a few hours before dosing.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the dosing instructions on the labels. Kanaplex + Furan-2 you want to dose at the same time; Metro you can wait a few hours before dosing.

So I would repeat the treat ment 4 time? That's what the furan-2 says to do. Does it matter if I do all 3 at the same time?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would repeat the treat ment 4 time? That's what the furan-2 says to do. Does it matter if I do all 3 at the same time?

You would keep going with the dosing regimen until at least 10 days have elapsed.

You can do all 3 at the same time, but I suggest mixing the meds in a cup until they're fully dissolved. I don't like adding powder medication directly to the QT.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would keep going with the dosing regimen until at least 10 days have elapsed.

You can do all 3 at the same time, but I suggest mixing the meds in a cup until they're fully dissolved. I don't like adding powder medication directly to the QT.

Ok thanks

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a flame hawk, neon dottyback, African flameback angel(about 1.5 inches) one tank raised occellaris clown and two tank raised Banggai Cardinals in Qt. Am tx all with metroplex+focus for internal parasites. All are doing well. Want to tx prophylacticly for ich, velvet etc. I have Seachem cupramine and the Hanna high range Cu++ checker. Are these fish all cupramine safe? (especially worried about the little flameback. ). I could get coppersafe or other chelated copper if necessary. I like the idea of CP, but lack of a test kit worries me. Also, can I dose copper while deworming?

These fish have been in Qt for months already. The hawkfish and Banggai s since the end of Feb. the flameback and neon dottyback since the end of March. Due to catastrophic DT failure all fish had to go into the Qt tank on may 14. I had about 1 week left to qt the angel and dottyback. So I started the Qt clock over.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waaaay back earlier in this thread, it was recommended (by @melypr1985, I believe) that a cube of food soaked Metroplex w/ Focus be fed to an infected fish once a day for ten days. I currently have a wrasse in QT that I am treating prophilactically and it's my usual protical to feed this tank 4 times a day. I assume that I then must divide this dosage by 4 and feed a little bit at every feeding for the required 10 days. Correct?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on how a melanarus wrasse will tolerate a FW dip?

Should be fine.

Waaaay back earlier in this thread, it was recommended (by @melypr1985, I believe) that a cube of food soaked Metroplex w/ Focus be fed to an infected fish once a day for ten days. I currently have a wrasse in QT that I am treating prophilactically and it's my usual protical to feed this tank 4 times a day. I assume that I then must divide this dosage by 4 and feed a little bit at every feeding for the required 10 days. Correct?

That is fine, or you can feed metro soaked food just once a day (so long as every fish eats some). Treating internal parasites/intestinal worms is a prolonged, sustained battle.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine.

That is fine, or you can feed metro soaked food just once a day (so long as every fish eats some). Treating internal parasites/intestinal worms is a prolonged, sustained battle.
Then I am probably overdosing. I was dividing the cube into fourths and feeding the metro soaked food each time. I also planned to do this EVERY DAY for 10 days. The wrasse is the only fish in QT at this point. Still then, I should only feed the medicated food once a day?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still then, I should only feed the medicated food once a day?

Yes, but be patient as it can take 2-3 weeks (or longer) to completely clear these buggers. I also find adding a drop or two of Epsom salt to the medicated fish food slurry helps to push the dead worms out (laxative). ;)

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been seeing more and more people say they have used CP on fairy Wrasse. Does anyone have knowledge of this?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know as well. Rumor has it that fairy wrasses and halichores can handle it ok, but flashers cannot.
I’ve heard the same, although I’ve not tried it myself.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been seeing more and more people say they have used CP on fairy Wrasse. Does anyone have knowledge of this?
I would like to know as well. Rumor has it that fairy wrasses and halichores can handle it ok, but flashers cannot.
I’ve heard the same, although I’ve not tried it myself.

I've been running a large number of Cirrhilabrus & Halichoeres genus wrasses thru CP @ 40mg/gal. My success rate with them is about the same as when I was using chelated copper. (Wrasses & anthias are, in general, a PITA to get through QT.)

Also, please note that I only treat with Chloroquine for 14 days and then transfer the specimen to another QT for further treatment. I was having more trouble getting them thru CP when treating for the standard 30 days, so duration may be part of the problem.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a fairy wrasse through CP too, same as Humble though, 14 days and into a sterile QT he went. I would have run some more through CP, but then I ended up buying them from a guy who did the QT for me and better than I could. ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back