Fish are dropping every other day

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m dealing with something iv never seen before and I prolly made a mistake of adding this fish since everything was fine until I did and I have no access to quarantining but I added a heniochus butterfly to my system a couple weeks ago and he was fine for the first week and then one day he was covered in white spots usually more than what ich puts out but he was still eating and all my other fish were fine then the next day its like he lost vision a little bit but was still eating which I had to hand feed basically put it right in front of his mouth. Fast forward 2 days later he is laying on his side on the sand bed breathing heavy then I watched him take his last breath. Couple days later my mimic tang started getting like milky white skin and couple white dots and hiding all day and night and he soon did the same thing which he laid on his side and was breathing heavy. The next day my powder blue was covered but still eating and he soon went a couple days later also. Still alive in the tank are a blue hippo, flame angel, wrasse, 2 clowns. One clown looks to have kinda like milky white skin and every fish is hiding a lot but the blue hippo looks fine and is eating, wrasse looks fine and is eating, flame angel has very little white spots on him and one of his eyes looks like it’s swollen but he is still eating. I have been dosing rally pro and today is the third day I have dosed it. Only picture I have is of the mimic the day before he went

IMG_2215.jpeg IMG_2214.jpeg IMG_2213.jpeg IMG_2216.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These are mucus cones and likely mixed in with ich
As stated in other email, treat with coppersafe at 2.25
Often other fish may not show signs but observe them daily to assure no new issues
Also increase oxygen during treatment

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are mucus cones and likely mixed in with ich
As stated in other email, treat with coppersafe at 2.25
Often other fish may not show signs but observe them daily to assure no new issues
Also increase oxygen during treatment
So you don’t think it could be velvet?

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty is nah laying on its side and breathing heavy! I took him out and put him in a cup and took a video so I could get a good shot!

Attachments

• IMG_2232.mov
    21.5 MB
OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pics

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2234.jpeg
    IMG_2234.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2235.jpeg
    IMG_2235.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2236.jpeg
    IMG_2236.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2237.jpeg
    IMG_2237.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2238.jpeg
    IMG_2238.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2240.jpeg
    IMG_2240.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he just took his last breath! It’s like they get skinnier and lose color in some spots of their scales and the fins look like they are getting eaten by something then there’s also red marks on their body

cbranin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there’s a ton of white dots on a fish, then it’s most likely velvet. What are your parameters? I’d imagine there’s an ammonia spike going on rn. Also, do you have a skimmer or good surface agitation for oxygen? Sorry to hear about your losses

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So you don’t think it could be velvet?
Size of spots decreases the chance
With velvet, appearance will be more dusty looking, fish swimming in path of flow, gasping at surface, loss of appetite, cloudy eyes and hiding as examples

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so sorry to hear this. This is why I am so on the fence of adding a couple more fish. My tank is very happy and I do not want to risk that. Do you have QT available? Leave you tank fallow for whatever is recommended. This sucks, it makes me really bummed for you.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In reality, the treatment whether velvet or ich is copper. Clinically by history this many deaths suggests velvet more than ich. The multitude of spots on the tank could be mucus irritation from ich or velvet. Since there are so many deaths - I would remove all of your fish, and put them through a 30 day copper treatment (ASAP) - followed by Prazipro. per the protocol sticky (2 doses 8 days apart). As @Jekyl said - your duration of QT was too short. Copper will treat velvet or ich. I am not sure that most LFS keep their salinity low, however it is something to ask when you buy a fish - that is to check what their salinity is - or (which is what I do) - only buy fish that are in invertebrate tanks - since almost by definition, inverts do not tolerate hypo salinity well. Hope this helps.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he just took his last breath! It’s like they get skinnier and lose color in some spots of their scales and the fins look like they are getting eaten by something then there’s also red marks on their body

That description sounds more like flukes than velvet.

Timing is everything in diagnosing this: Velvet hits hard and fast, the fish stop eating and all/most die within a few days. Often, you won't see any spots at all. Ich produces pinhead white spots and at first, the fish show no other symptoms. Then, as the infection progresses, the spots merge into more of a mucus sheet and the fish stops eating. The time frame for that is about 7 to 10 days. With flukes, you won't see pinhead white spots, but the fish will gradually get thin and look "tattered" with red lesions. The fish will continue to eat and when they start to die, it is spaced farther apart - over weeks.

Jay

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That description sounds more like flukes than velvet.

Timing is everything in diagnosing this: Velvet hits hard and fast, the fish stop eating and all/most die within a few days. Often, you won't see any spots at all. Ich produces pinhead white spots and at first, the fish show no other symptoms. Then, as the infection progresses, the spots merge into more of a mucus sheet and the fish stops eating. The time frame for that is about 7 to 10 days. With flukes, you won't see pinhead white spots, but the fish will gradually get thin and look "tattered" with red lesions. The fish will continue to eat and when they start to die, it is spaced farther apart - over weeks.

Jay
It’s like it’s affecting the fishes eyes and I don’t see the red lesions until I get them out of the tank. They go pale and skinny and eyes are cloudy and fins look like they are getting eaten or something but it’s wiping my fish out pretty quickly

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s like it’s affecting the fishes eyes and I don’t see the red lesions until I get them out of the tank. They go pale and skinny and eyes are cloudy and fins look like they are getting eaten or something but it’s wiping my fish out pretty quickly
IMHO - this may be one of those cases (with multiple deaths) - that one could dose prazipro and copper at the same time. The red lesions do suggest more fluke-like issues.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so sorry to hear this. This is why I am so on the fence of adding a couple more fish. My tank is very happy and I do not want to risk that. Do you have QT available? Leave you tank fallow for whatever is recommended. This sucks, it makes me really bummed for you.
I won’t add a fish going forward without a quarantine with copper power at the minimum.

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - this may be one of those cases (with multiple deaths) - that one could dose prazipro and copper at the same time. The red lesions do suggest more fluke-like issues.
I don’t have a means to quarantine at the moment but the remaining fish in the system are a flame angel who is eating swimming around but eyes look kinda swollen, hippo tang who is eating but hides a lot and one eye looks infected, wrasse who looks fine, spotted puffer who is eating and looks fine, and 2 clowns which one looks bad off and is pale in some spots, cloudy eyes and breathing heavy. All I have is soft coral in my system. Can I just dose prazipro and see if that takes care of it cause iv been dosing rally pro the last 3 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a means to quarantine at the moment but the remaining fish in the system are a flame angel who is eating swimming around but eyes look kinda swollen, hippo tang who is eating but hides a lot and one eye looks infected, wrasse who looks fine, spotted puffer who is eating and looks fine, and 2 clowns which one looks bad off and is pale in some spots, cloudy eyes and breathing heavy. All I have is soft coral in my system. Can I just dose prazipro and see if that takes care of it cause iv been dosing rally pro the last 3 days

With the cloudy eyes and the other symptoms, flukes are a good possibility. Rally Pro does NOT work well for flukes. Prazipro is better, but it also sometimes fails. You need to dose it 2 or 3 times, 8 days apart, with good aeration (add an airstone). Run your skimmer, but don't collect the skimmate. Turn off any UV or carbon filtration during the treatment.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would follow the individual instructions on the companies website to be sure

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the other clown died during the night and he must have died early in the night cause this is what he looked like when I took him out of the tank but he did look pretty bad off before the lights when out. Hippos eye looks better and is still eating but still skittish and hiding mostly, flame angel eyes look better and still eating but hides mostly too, wrasse is eating and swimming around and looks fine, puffer is eating and swimming around and still looks fine.
Still waiting on Prazipro to come in cause no stores around me have it

IMG_2245.jpeg IMG_2244.jpeg IMG_2247.jpeg IMG_2246.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the other clown died during the night and he must have died early in the night cause this is what he looked like when I took him out of the tank but he did look pretty bad off before the lights when out. Hippos eye looks better and is still eating but still skittish and hiding mostly, flame angel eyes look better and still eating but hides mostly too, wrasse is eating and swimming around and looks fine, puffer is eating and swimming around and still looks fine.
Still waiting on Prazipro to come in cause no stores around me have it

IMG_2245.jpeg IMG_2244.jpeg IMG_2247.jpeg IMG_2246.jpeg

Do you think your Clean up Crew got to it, or did it have that fin damage before it died?

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think your Clean up Crew got to it, or did it have that fin damage before it died?
I’m not sure but yes it did have some fin damage before but not to that extent. I put him in freshwater when I took him out so would flukes still fall off him if it were that?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back