Fish are scratching in QT .. Decisions decisions...

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Yesterday was the 14th day mark at range 2.5 ppm with Copper Power medication.

I'm currently seeing all of my fish doing well. However, one of the fish particularly the Sailfin who is big and healthy, has starting to show signs of scratch marks on its side.

I have a 100 gallon tub from Tractor supply. I was contemplating transferring them out , then sterilizing the QT , then transferring them back for observation. Besides the scratching on the side, they are eating and doing well.

I'm contemplating whether to let them ride to the 21 day mark and pull them , or to do it now since signs of immunodepression is present.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yesterday was the 14th day mark at range 2.5 ppm with Copper Power medication.

I'm currently seeing all of my fish doing well. However, one of the fish particularly the Sailfin who is big and healthy, has starting to show signs of scratch marks on its side.

I have a 100 gallon tub from Tractor supply. I was contemplating transferring them out , then sterilizing the QT , then transferring them back for observation. Besides the scratching on the side, they are eating and doing well.

I'm contemplating whether to let them ride to the 21 day mark and pull them , or to do it now since signs of immunodepression is present.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
If the tank is overcrowded, may be reason for scratch marks as well as the fact they spook easily and May scuff itself darting off
Please post pics under white lighting of the injuries your describing

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
If the tank is overcrowded, may be reason for scratch marks as well as the fact they spook easily and May scuff itself darting off
12 fish in 120g qt

All small fish except 2 yellow , 1 sailfin , 1 Japanese swallow

I will post pics tomorrow

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 fish in 120g qt

All small fish except 2 yellow , 1 sailfin , 1 Japanese swallow

I will post pics tomorrow
While waiting on the pics, it could be skin flukes causing them to scratch. I generally advise people to treat with copper first, but then with praziquantel to handle any flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
While waiting on the pics, it could be skin flukes causing them to scratch. I generally advise people to treat with copper first, but then with praziquantel to handle any flukes.
Jay
IMG_3181.jpeg

Here’s picture of the scrape .

I’m going to treat with prazi after however not sure if I should wait it out with copper full 30 days or transfer now that it’s day 16 today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3181.jpeg

Here’s picture of the scrape .

I’m going to treat with prazi after however not sure if I should wait it out with copper full 30 days or transfer now that it’s day 16 today.
That is a tough call. I prefer to run one treatment at a time, copper first then prazi. That is because copper handles the faster killing diseases, and flukes take longer to kill a fish. People do run prazi and copper together, but you need to have really good aeration.
Jay

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
That is a tough call. I prefer to run one treatment at a time, copper first then prazi. That is because copper handles the faster killing diseases, and flukes take longer to kill a fish. People do run prazi and copper together, but you need to have really good aeration.
Jay
Do you support copper power 14 day treatments or 30 day? I see a lot of 14 day treatments when I research copper power

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you support copper power 14 day treatments or 30 day? I see a lot of 14 day treatments when I research copper power

There is just no good reason to run it at only 14 days. Even ionic copper (a lot harsher) should be treated for 21 days.

Jay

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
There is just no good reason to run it at only 14 days. Even ionic copper (a lot harsher) should be treated for 21 days.

Jay
I see. You recommend 21 days with chelated or is that just ionic

Thanks for replying. There is that said that there is no point keeping your animals in poison longer than they need to

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. You recommend 21 days with chelated or is that just ionic

Thanks for replying. There is that said that there is no point keeping your animals in poison longer than they need to
30 days for amine-based chelated copper like coppersafe or copper power. 21 days minimum for ionic like Cuprion, Cupramine or citrated.

Copper just isn’t the problem that some people make it out to be…but relapsed protozoan diseases are an issue, so you want to ensure you get a full treatment time in.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back