Fish arrived - Not too happy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tartufo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
That's a very good sign that she's swimming around, but obviously not out of the woodwork just yet. She might just be lazy - my female doesn't swim nearly as much as the male does. They both spend most of their days huddled up in their preferred corner, making sure to push everything that they don't approve of out of their little spot.

Most places that I've ordered from include heat packs with livestock, and as big a supplier as ORA is I'm surprised that they didn't do so. It is true that clowns are very hardy fish, but 64 is awfully low for fish adapted to warmer waters.

My bonded pair (Snowy and Iced T) likewise have a pretty big size difference. Give them enough time, and they might even spawn in the tank - mine spawn every few months. We're not interested in raising clowns, so the eggs eventually just turn into a community potluck for the tank.

While she is swimming, once in awhile she flops on her side. Sometimes she is pointed up.

We used to breed freshwater fish and give them to our local fish store. That was with my oldest daughter. My youngest is hoping to do that with clownfish. We'll see how it goes.

I too am shocked there wasn't a heat pack. Somebody was off their game yesterday, shipping without a heat pack and only shipping half of the order.
 
I would temp acclimate them until temps match and drop them straight in the tank... if that's fish waste in the water you'll just stress them even more or kill them by drip acclimating, spiking the PH and releasing that ammonia.
You can drip acclimate without mixing the bag water with the display water.
 
You can drip acclimate without mixing the bag water with the display water.

I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't trying to avoid that water getting into the tank rather the tank water getting into that bag.
 
I’m a little late to this party, how did the clown turn out? Did it come around?
 
I’m a little late to this party, how did the clown turn out? Did it come around?

She swims a little then flops on her side, and repeats it. This is usually a sign of pending death in our freshwater fish.
 
I used to be like you, but something happened several years ago and now I can't handle it. I'm not sure if it is me getting older, or if there was a subconscious trigger.



Angela is doing much better, but she still doesn't seem to be quite right. She is swimming but isn't quite keeping up with Frosty. It is amazing the size difference. As my daughter said, Frosty is so much smaller that he could be her offspring! This is the first time we've seen a bonded pair to notice the size difference.
Best part is the male will never become as big as her unless one day he becomes female. My 3 year old female is a monster over 3 inches and they spawn continuously
 
She swims a little then flops on her side, and repeats it. This is usually a sign of pending death in our freshwater fish.
Might help adding more oxygen point the power head up and keep lights off in the tank. Limit as much stress as you can. It’s a good sign she made it through the night
 
Best part is the male will never become as big as her unless one day he becomes female. My 3 year old female is a monster over 3 inches and they spawn continuously

This female is already just over to 2.5". The max shipping size is to be 1.5". Let's just say that I will never buy an Ora fish again, if it ships directly from them. Most likely I won't buy from this seller again. I didn't hear from them yesterday, after several emails, and they didn't return the voicemail I left.

EDIT: This is a well-known seller. I've spent many thousands of dollars with them, but it was all dry goods.
 
Might help adding more oxygen point the power head up and keep lights off in the tank. Limit as much stress as you can. It’s a good sign she made it through the night

I have a powerhead causing a lot of ripples. We've had the light off since getting them. We moved the coral to another tank so they weren't bothered by the lack of light.
 
This female is already just over to 2.5". The max shipping size is to be 1.5". Let's just say that I will never buy an Ora fish again, if it ships directly from them. Most likely I won't buy from this seller again. I didn't hear from them yesterday, after several emails, and they didn't return the voicemail I left.

EDIT: This is a well-known seller. I've spent many thousands of dollars with them, but it was all dry goods.
I bought my Ora clowns through BRS of all places and that worked out well for me.
 
I bought my Ora clowns through BRS of all places and that worked out well for me.

I emailed Ora as well this morning. Here's hoping one of them reply and care (I didn't buy through BRS). It boggles my mind as to how this can happen. I suggested that they reach out to Dan's Fish to figure out how to properly ship their livestock.
 
The seller contacted me this morning and refunded my order, for the fish not received and these clownfish. I do not think that was something they should have done. I do not feel that I should be refunded for the clownfish I did receive. This will ensure I continue to spend my money with them.

Also, Ora emailed me with an update on their end. I am satisfied with the responses. I'm still not thrilled that the fish was shipped so cold, but Ora I am confident that Ora will address it in the future.

I am please with the responses that I received.
 
The seller contacted me this morning and refunded my order, for the fish not received and these clownfish. I do not think that was something they should have done. I do not feel that I should be refunded for the clownfish I did receive. This will ensure I continue to spend my money with them.

Also, Ora emailed me with an update on their end. I am satisfied with the responses. I'm still not thrilled that the fish was shipped so cold, but Ora I am confident that Ora will address it in the future.

I am please with the responses that I received.

What happened to the clown? Is she still with you, or...?
 
What happened to the clown? Is she still with you, or...?
The female is doing MUCH better. She doesn't seem to swim as well as the male, but I'm sure that is just our imagination. You know how stuff can get stuck in your head and trick you.

I placed another order for the two that I didn't receive, from the seller/Ora. I am impressed with the response, especially from Ora.
 
I would temp acclimate them until temps match and drop them straight in the tank... if that's fish waste in the water you'll just stress them even more or kill them by drip acclimating, spiking the PH and releasing that ammonia.
You can drip acclimate without mixing the bag water with the display water.
You don’t want to drip acclimate when fish have been bagged for several days When the bags are sealed Generated CO2 (think of it as acidic) has got nowhere to go This causes the pH to decrease. And ammonia is converted to ammonium, which is not toxic. As soon as the bag is opened, CO2 gets released the pH rises and ammonium gets converted back to ammonia and can easily kill a fish . The fish Medics recommend temperature acclimating and then placing the fish directly into a quarantine tank the same salinity and pH as the bagged water if possible
 
I would temp acclimate them until temps match and drop them straight in the tank... if that's fish waste in the water you'll just stress them even more or kill them by drip acclimating, spiking the PH and releasing that ammonia.

This!!!
 
The seller contacted me this morning and refunded my order, for the fish not received and these clownfish. I do not think that was something they should have done. I do not feel that I should be refunded for the clownfish I did receive. This will ensure I continue to spend my money with them.

Also, Ora emailed me with an update on their end. I am satisfied with the responses. I'm still not thrilled that the fish was shipped so cold, but Ora I am confident that Ora will address it in the future.

I am please with the responses that I received.
Glad to hear that. That is a super classy move by a business.

I am lucky to have TSM aquatics in NJ. I pick up to avoid those 12-24 hour rough trips on a plane. FYI- they would be a good choice. They quarantine their fish in copper for 30 days and they pump their bags full of pure O2 for shipping. I've watched Josh do pack up fish. Very impressed.
 
Glad to hear that. That is a super classy move by a business.

I am lucky to have TSM aquatics in NJ. I pick up to avoid those 12-24 hour rough trips on a plane. FYI- they would be a good choice. They quarantine their fish in copper for 30 days and they pump their bags full of pure O2 for shipping. I've watched Josh do pack up fish. Very impressed.

I'll check them out. I get close to that area from time to time.

I ordered another pair (snowflake) from Ora using the same seller. I couldn't be happier with the fish. They even included a stress ball thing that was a large clownfish and put it in a fish bag. I floated it in my daughter's tank and told her that she got a new fish when she came home from school. She was so happy only to find out it wasn't real. She still likes it though.

I will continue to use this seller for most of my equipment due to their customer service.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new