Fish behavior has so much more than meets the eye - Banggai "shoal"

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used to have a really peaceful tank... until a couple of Banggai cardinals began breeding, a few babies survived and grew.

Now I have a "shoal" of 11 Banggai cardinals with the parents determined to wipe all the evidence of their breeding efforts.

There's some moments of peace during feeding times.

They're fish that don't sleep and I can't remove them without tearing the tank down.

While I miss having a peaceful tank, this has showed me a range of behaviors in these fish that I wasn't expected.

It was all peace and love until the eldest son became adult and the father noticing him after an incubation period. Then he decided his son had to die.

His son is a survivor though, when he was one month old, he was living in the refugium but he fell into the return pump compartment, got sucked in by the pump, was canonballed into the tank and landed in the magnifica anemone where he was the the first of many Banggais accepted by the resident trio of clowns.

The female joined the male in his attempts to kill all other Banggais in the tank and I was hoping the aggression would stop when the male began another incubation.

The female pressured the male for 2 days and he finally accepted her eggs.

I immediately noticed something strange: the female wouldn't separate from the male more than an inch or 2. He was constantly trying to get some space, but she wouldn't let him.

She knew what he wanted to do. The next day he had no eggs and was free to continue his mission of getting rid of his descendants.

As days pass by, each fish is getting more and more used to this aggressive environment and more easily escapes their parents radar. At the same time they're growing and I wonder where is this going next.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a cool story. Nice tank! What kind of lights support those corals?

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. There's a couple of Aqua Medic Angels on each side and an old Maxspect Razor in the middle.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to read more!! Lol

If I had a couple more cameras I would make a soap opera out of this. I have done it before. I filmed this 6 fish for 1200 hours and I made this:

(Turn on English subtitles)

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a couple more cameras I would make a soap opera out of this. I have done it before. I filmed this 6 fish for 1200 hours and I made this:

(Turn on English subtitles)

No se preocupe, puedo hablar y entender español

seriously though! War of the shells lol I love it. I’m going to give it a watch when I get home from work

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No se preocupe, puedo hablar y entender español

seriously though! War of the shells lol I love it. I’m going to give it a watch when I get home from work

It's an hour long and it's the short version. The long version has 7 chapters of 25 minutes each. I hope you like it, it's quite a ride :)

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I breed them and I have a 50 gallon and only one pair can exist in adulthood

54F7B755-C41E-474A-A0F5-ED0860340698.jpeg

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 1that is about3 1/2" in a 75. it is the terror of the tank, beats on everything . esp my yellow tang. worst fish i,ve ever had

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's a behavior I will never witness because I feed frozen food 2-3 times a day and flakes 3-4 times a day.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woow those corals have grown since the last time I’ve watched your tank. Awesome videos

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ardeus wow beautiful cinematography. Can you share your equipment you used to make that first video? :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back