Fish breathing very rapid.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I purchased a rabbit fish online a week ago and ever since he has been breathing very rapid. Other fish are all fine 2 clowns and a filefish. He is eating like an absolute beast though and has annihilated all algae in the tank. Zero ammonia nitrates 1ppm. Seems like he has some sort of disease or poisoning.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, but it's just going to be very hard to get a diagnosis without one. Hiding and avoiding light, and swimming directly into the flow of a powerhead, is indicative of either velvet or ich, and neither of those parasitic diseases is good news. That being said, rapid breathing in itself may or may not be a problem. I have an obese starry blenny which has always -- even from the point of purchase a year ago -- exhibited extremely rapid breathing. It's probably fine, even though it's beginning to resemble a swimming beach ball.

I'd set up a hospital tank at this point if you don't already have one. This can be a plastic garbage can with HOB filter and powerhead or airstone (or both). You may not even need a heater at this time of the year where you are. This will allow you to observe the fish closely for parasites, and then treat as appropriate. Methylene blue may help with respiration, but you may want to get a proper diagnosis first.

The good news is that American reefers have a wide assortment of meds available for treating diseases and parasitic infections.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I hear you, but it's just going to be very hard to get a diagnosis without one. Hiding and avoiding light, and swimming directly into the flow of a powerhead, is indicative of either velvet or ich, and neither of those parasitic diseases is good news. That being said, rapid breathing in itself may or may not be a problem. I have an obese starry blenny which has always -- even from the point of purchase a year ago -- exhibited extremely rapid breathing. It's probably fine, even though it's beginning to resemble a swimming beach ball.

I'd set up a hospital tank at this point if you don't already have one. This can be a plastic garbage can with HOB filter and powerhead or airstone (or both). You may not even need a heater at this time of the year where you are. This will allow you to observe the fish closely for parasites, and then treat as appropriate. Methylene blue may help with respiration, but you may want to get a proper diagnosis first.

The good news is that American reefers have a wide assortment of meds available for treating diseases and parasitic infections.
hes definitely not swimming into flow or at the surface. maybe he is just super anxious and plucked right of the ocean when I bought him. he hides under rocks anytime I am within 6feet the guy has really good vision. but he will come out and devour algae when I am out of sight. Ive had a lot of fish over the years and never seen one breathing like this. I am not going to even attempt to capture him so the QT is out of the question haha. Could be stress eating. he ate a whole tank 60g tank of algae and doesnt look fat at all.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, certainly do not put methylene blue in your display if you do want to use it. I used some in a hospital tank and then had to give the entire thing a deep clean to get the stains out.

Just be aware that many sick fish eat right up to the point that they don't, and then decline very rapidly after that. Many of us have spent hours breaking down tanks and trying to catch escape artists in order to get a tank to the fallow state, so you may just have to do this.

There could be other sources of trouble. Your fish may be bullied when you're not in the room, and you may catch the culprit only by setting up a remote camera.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well, certainly do not put methylene blue in your display if you do want to use it. I used some in a hospital tank and then had to give the entire thing a deep clean to get the stains out.

Just be aware that many sick fish eat right up to the point that they don't, and then decline very rapidly after that. Many of us have spent hours breaking down tanks and trying to catch escape artists in order to get a tank to the fallow state, so you may just have to do this.

There could be other sources of trouble. Your fish may be bullied when you're not in the room, and you may catch the culprit only by setting up a remote camera.
He’s the big guy in the tank by far so definitely not getting bullied. I can see him just from a distance.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So - there are a number of questions -

1. Did you quarantine him (or your other fish)
2. You can calculate the respiratory rate yourself without a video. Measure how many 'breaths' over 30 seconds and multiply by 2. normal is 20-80 - but varies quite a bit between different types of fish.
3. Have you checked your parameters? pH, ammonia, Nitrate, salinity?
4. Did you match the salinity in whatever he came in to the salinity in your tank?
5. How big is the tank? Could it be an oxygen issue

Again - even a picture would be helpful.
PS #3 and 5 are somewhat less likely since the other fish are ok.

I would consider a hospital tank - and consider treating - but without more information, it's impossible to recommend anything specific. Good luck with the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hes definitely not swimming into flow or at the surface. maybe he is just super anxious and plucked right of the ocean when I bought him. he hides under rocks anytime I am within 6feet the guy has really good vision. but he will come out and devour algae when I am out of sight. Ive had a lot of fish over the years and never seen one breathing like this. I am not going to even attempt to capture him so the QT is out of the question haha. Could be stress eating. he ate a whole tank 60g tank of algae and doesnt look fat at all.

What about turning the tank lights up and night and turning off the room lights? That should make you invisible to the fish in the tank. You could then get a short video. Calculating the respiration rate from the video is pretty easy. If you count, say 20 gill beats in a 10 second video clip, that works out to be 120 per minute. I start to worry if it goes much higher than that.

Jay

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So - there are a number of questions -

1. Did you quarantine him (or your other fish)
2. You can calculate the respiratory rate yourself without a video. Measure how many 'breaths' over 30 seconds and multiply by 2. normal is 20-80 - but varies quite a bit between different types of fish.
3. Have you checked your parameters? pH, ammonia, Nitrate, salinity?
4. Did you match the salinity in whatever he came in to the salinity in your tank?
5. How big is the tank? Could it be an oxygen issue

Again - even a picture would be helpful.
PS #3 and 5 are somewhat less likely since the other fish are ok.

I would consider a hospital tank - and consider treating - but without more information, it's impossible to recommend anything specific. Good luck with the fish.
No QT, params good, 60g. Ill try and count the breaths. I am thinking he is just super anxious for some reason.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok I could see a reflection of him under a rock breathing about 140/min estimate (70 in 30sec). so he is laboring for sure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I could see a reflection of him under a rock breathing about 140/min estimate (70 in 30sec). so he is laboring for sure.

Well, that is too fast. Without catching it up to try a FW dip or moving it to a treatment tank, you are pretty much just limited to a Prazipro treatment (2x, 9 days apart with good aeration). This will help if the underlying issue is gill flukes.

Jay

Back