Fish building/man cave build!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a cheap mini computer since I don’t do any 3d design except web based stuff. But I did add another ultra wide monitor. :)
Nice! Prices on some of the minis get crazy pretty quickly as of late.

Cannot recall if I told you but I built a new machine post hurricane. I went traditional mid-tower, liquid cooled with upgraded fans with led, gaming keyboard, mouse and mouse pad led lit. Although I didn’t necessarily need them, I picked up two new monitors. An Acer Predator 32” and a 27”. Both are for gaming. I also built the machine internals for gaming. No idea why as I am not a gamer. I’ll go with because I like to leave my options open!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a rebuilt desktop for my Quartz processing CNC with windows 10 for $150.00. Now for the $900.00 in software updates ugh.
Sorry, I tried not to laugh but couldn’t stop myself. Is the software you run subscription based? If not, I suspect it to be only a matter of time before it becomes so. Everything is moving to subscription model. Open source is starting to make inroads into many areas though.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I tried not to laugh but couldn’t stop myself. Is the software you run subscription based? If not, I suspect it to be only a matter of time before it becomes so. Everything is moving to subscription model. Open source is starting to make inroads into many areas though.
VCARVE for CAD and G code. Mach 4 to run G code with windows 10. CAD and CAM systems are years behind on OS software. Still running CAMBAM and Mach 3 right now.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the water change drain on the 12 footer done. Works like a charm. I did a 20 gallon water change while I sat and drank coffee and texted with @crusso1993 That’s how water changes should be!

The rimless tank is being a pain to get clean I may not drill until Monday. That black beard algae is no joke.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today my buddy Ryan came for a visit and I got the rimless tank cleaned, we then drilled for new overflow, return and water change bulkhead. Put on the frosted vinyl back and installed the overflow and bulkheads. I also got the back lighting put on and facing upward now.

tomorrow I give it one more cleaning, put the majority of the plumbing on and level it again and put the sand, dry rock and start rodi fill.

Won’t be long now!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquascape is put together with acrylic rods, super thick cyanoacrylate and activator and is in the tank. The caribsea special grade reef floor is in as well.

I have to glue 3 more fittings and the plumbing is done.

The tank is level.

Tomorrow: WATER!

aquascape1.jpg

aquascape2.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand had to be modded slightly for the sump/skimmer to work. That's done and now the RODI is going in.

I am hoping by morning to put a heater in the display and bring it to temp and start adding salt.

I also started on wiring management. I really hate this part but, promised myself I would do it right on this one. It really is necessary.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a delay. Got a new heater delivered. Up to temp and salt in. It's filled up to the overflow. I will set salinity today and put in bacteria and ceramic blocks from 187 sump to get the cycle going.

I will move the fish, sump and other equipment Sunday. The microbacter fast cycle says 5 days plus I have the ceramics that have been in the other sump for 5 months. Should be fine.

I am also going to program the lights today and finish mounting the bricks for them and mount a power strip.

With a little luck, I should be able to have my buddy pick up the 187 Sunday or the beginning of the week. He agreed to help clean it out as part of the deal.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a shipment in from Zyltech. Can finish the mods to my desk now as well as an upgrade to the way I am keeping the ATO, dosing and water change container.

Should allow for easier access and visibility.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the photons programmed.
Yes, the photo is too blue. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

photonsprogrammed.jpg
If I squint and look real close, I can still see the reflection off your noggin!

@Fish Styx Matt meet Steve @dantimdad meet Matt. You're both good eggs and will probably be dangerous together. Actually, you're both dangerous all by yourselves so it's a moot point.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I squint and look real close, I can still see the reflection off your noggin!

@Fish Styx Matt meet Steve @dantimdad meet Matt. You're both good eggs and will probably be dangerous together. Actually, you're both dangerous all by yourselves so it's a moot point.
Greetings, fellow human! <tries his best to NOT look like an alien>

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this photo is easier on the eyes. LOL The backlight with the frosted background worked as planned.

backlight.jpg

Now, I have a 29 gallon acrylic tank to put under the frag tank stand next to the reef. This will hold the water for the water changes. I want to be able to mix the water with the same pump I refill the reef with and use as few fittings and valves as possible. Suggestions? Bonus for drawings of your plan.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this photo is easier on the eyes. LOL The backlight with the frosted background worked as planned.

backlight.jpg

Now, I have a 29 gallon acrylic tank to put under the frag tank stand next to the reef. This will hold the water for the water changes. I want to be able to mix the water with the same pump I refill the reef with and use as few fittings and valves as possible. Suggestions? Bonus for drawings of your plan.
Far be it from me to ever say anything BUT I think that Loc-line return would work better if it was pointed into the tank.

Single line into the valve below then into one line back to container other line to tank. Prest-o change-o.

A4C5B27E-ABFA-436D-88FC-EED58C10C0E9.png

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back