Fish choices for a "not really reef safe" tank?

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a tank reboot I'm in the middle of.

5' Waterbox180, been fallow for 90+ days, only inhabitants are a SallyLightfoot Crab and a rainbow BTA (which may or may not stay).
Corals limited to a purple Xenia and GSP and I was thinking about putting in "reef safe with caution" or other more risky options as the corals in there have taken over the tank while fallow so I'm not too concerned if they get eaten along the way.

I have a larger display reef (240G) which has a Copperband, Aptasia-eating file fish, 3 Pyramid Butterflies, Golden-headed sleeper Goby pair, madarin pair and a harem of Royal Grammas, so I don't really want to duplicate any of those other than possibly the CPB or Aptasia-eating filefish (as there is Aptasia in the tank).

Was thinking of starting with a longnose butterflyfish and perhaps Angels?

Any advice welcome.

Thx!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a tank reboot I'm in the middle of.

5' Waterbox180, been fallow for 90+ days, only inhabitants are a SallyLightfoot Crab and a rainbow BTA (which may or may not stay).
Corals limited to a purple Xenia and GSP and I was thinking about putting in "reef safe with caution" or other more risky options as the corals in there have taken over the tank while fallow so I'm not too concerned if they get eaten along the way.

I have a larger display reef (240G) which has a Copperband, Aptasia-eating file fish, 3 Pyramid Butterflies, Golden-headed sleeper Goby pair, madarin pair and a harem of Royal Grammas, so I don't really want to duplicate any of those other than possibly the CPB or Aptasia-eating filefish (as there is Aptasia in the tank).

Was thinking of starting with a longnose butterflyfish and perhaps Angels?

Any advice welcome.

Thx!
I love angels. i have one in each of my reefs no issues. I have a saddleback butterfly, he is super chill and wont touch my corals. You could also do a medium sized tang too! The majority of my 125 reef tank has “reef safe with caution” fish!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Stripe (Eibli) angelfish "Reef safe with caution" awesome fish but absolutely not reefsafe. Picked at zoas, stylos, acros, anything else with polyps. They all closed up tight. Fortunately they all came back when he was removed. He went to the LFS. If I ever have a fowlr I would get another one.

OP
OP
Twosixpax

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any of the dwarf or medium angels would do fine in a 5' (Centropyge Genus, Regal, Majestic, Smaller genicanthus species)

Longnose butterfly should be okay as well
Thanks! Forgot to mention I have 2 (very young) captive bred Regals in the larger tank - guessing I'll be moving one if they decide they don't like eachother as they grow.

Would love a majestic and a Flame, Tang-wise I think maybe a Bristletooth Tang for algae

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Forgot to mention I have 2 (very young) captive bred Regals in the larger tank - guessing I'll be moving one if they decide they don't like eachother as they grow.

Would love a majestic and a Flame, Tang-wise I think maybe a Bristletooth Tang for algae
Bristletooths are very underrated fish, my LFS has a fully grown striatus and I wish my tank was big enough for it! very hardworking algae eaters too

And flames are very good-looking fish, I had never kept one on account that I felt that they were too common, but I just had to grab a wonderful specimen that I saw at my lfs yesterday. Now I understand why everyone has one!

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very rare to find them in my area under $100
Screenshot 2023-07-16 131438.png
That price is like a punch in the stomach

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back