Fish compatibility

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to have a big fowlr tank however I have I a question about comparability. It is mostly between butterflyfish, lionfish, hifin snapper, miniatus grouper, and porcupine puffer. I'm worried all the fish except the puffer might be able to eat a butterflyfish due to their large mouths. I'm also worried about the puffer biting the lionfishes fins and hurting it and himself.
What should I do or drop from the list?
Thanks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to have a big fowlr tank however I have I a question about comparability. It is mostly between butterflyfish, lionfish, hifin snapper, miniatus grouper, and porcupine puffer. I'm worried all the fish except the puffer might be able to eat a butterflyfish due to their large mouths. I'm also worried about the puffer biting the lionfishes fins and hurting it and himself.
Thanks
Personally I don't think you have to worry about the butterfly, as long as you get one big enough. The puffer/lionfish is a bit of concern, but not super likely IMO.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Not sure what size tank, but I wouldn’t worry so long as you have a more aggressive butterfly of good size. While it’s posisble that puffers harass lionfish, it’s something I’ve never experienced and I’ve kept them together many times.

Anything that can fit in the lions mouth will be gobbled up, obviously.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the butterflies are really small they should be too big to be eaten by those fish.

Puffers can vary wildly with how nippy and aggressive they are toward other tankmates.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

How big of a tank are you planning? As mentioned go with the bigger more aggressive Butterfly Fish and it shouldn't be a problem (A Saddleback might be a good choice).

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the general consensus is that it will be ok to keep the butterflies with them as long as I get the butterfly big and everyone else small. And for the lionfish and puffer most likely it will be ok but I'll have a back up in case.
Thanks for the help guys.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back