1 Large Cleaner Shrimp
Basic CUC
Mainly LPS coral/ some SPS

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 melanurus and I also think the 32 is too small. There are some smaller flasher wrasses I wouldn't be afraid to put in a 32.

Planning is so important. I bought a "Marble" wrasse also known as a checkerboard from my LFS. I didn't know what it was but it was such a cool fish. It was maybe 2". Now it's a 6 inch beast that killed a beautiful blue sided wrasse I had. LFS didn't help me on that purchase.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 melanurus and I also think the 32 is too small. There are some smaller flasher wrasses I wouldn't be afraid to put in a 32.

Planning is so important. I bought a "Marble" wrasse also known as a checkerboard from my LFS. I didn't know what it was but it was such a cool fish. It was maybe 2". Now it's a 6 inch beast that killed a beautiful blue sided wrasse I had. LFS didn't help me on that purchase.
Yeah it was either malenurus wrasse or sixline but I wanted something flashy but still peaceful. Looks like it’s the sixline!

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was either malenurus wrasse or sixline but I wanted something flashy but still peaceful. Looks like it’s the sixline!
I’ve heard that six line aren’t the most peaceful either. Hit or miss. I haven’t owned so going off of things I’ve read. I’d wait for others to chime in

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people are going to tell you to avoid the 6 line. They can be mean. I had one that got along great with every fish I had, until I added a Red Headed Solon Wrasse. Then it was war. And the 6 line won.

There are lots of different types of wrasse. I have a total of 17 between 4 tanks. I'm sure you can find a peaceful flasher wrasse that will not only look good but get along.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think 32G will be ok for a hawkfish but might not be for a midas blenny n/or melanurus. look for fish that hover over a smaller area like hawkfish, dartfish/firefish, cardinals, possum wrasse, mandarin(if u've micro fauna to support it) smaller gobies like coral goby.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that six line aren’t the most peaceful either. Hit or miss. I haven’t owned so going off of things I’ve read. I’d wait for others to chime in
That’s why I wanted the melanurus because I have not had success with the sixline. Might just stay away from wrasses until I upgrade..

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people are going to tell you to avoid the 6 line. They can be mean. I had one that got along great with every fish I had, until I added a Red Headed Solon Wrasse. Then it was war. And the 6 line won.

There are lots of different types of wrasse. I have a total of 17 between 4 tanks. I'm sure you can find a peaceful flasher wrasse that will not only look good but get along.
I’ve had a similar experience with a sixline bullying large clowns, had to tear down my entire tank just to get that little punk out. really sucks because they’re such beautiful fish!

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think 32G will be ok for a hawkfish but might not be for a midas blenny n/or melanurus. look for fish that hover over a smaller area like hawkfish, dartfish/firefish, cardinals, possum wrasse, mandarin(if u've micro fauna to support it) smaller gobies like coral gobies
Take out the melanurus & do you think everything else will be alright?

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the melanurus & do you think everything else will be alright?
I've a 6ft tank and my midas swim across length almost all the time. there are some blennies that like to park in holes n crevices like black sailfin. even bicolor blennies prefer to perch. you can go with them.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus really need more space, and they also need sand. Longnose Hawks do perch a lot but can get fairly big. Though they don't swim constantly (or even much), they do move around a good bit. Of the two, the longnose hawk would definitely do better in a 32 gal than a Melanurus. As others have said, flashers or even some of the small fairies would be much better choices for a 32 gal. I have both (Melanurus and long nose hawk) in a 6'x2'x19" tank. Though the hawk perches most of the time... even vertically and upside down, it does so all over the tank as opposed to claiming a small territory or just utilizing a few spots. It also doesn't usually perch in one spot for long so even though it doesn't swim around continuously, it moves around a lot.

crashegordon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a longnose hawkfish in my 40 breeder and he is happy. Stays mostly in one end of my tank as he has taken to the area around one large rock I built. But also a 40 breeder is a 3 foot tank.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've a 6ft tank and my midas swim across length almost all the time. there are some blennies that like to park in holes n crevices like black sailfin. even bicolor blennies prefer to perch. you can go with them.
The bicolor blennies are great characters but if you plan on corals take caution. I thought, for the longest time, that we just couldn't keep SPS and then I caught the Bicolor munching polyps - he had nearly stripped a 2" poccilpora frag clean. He's been rehomed and now we have 4 SPS that are doing awesome even the poccilpora he nearly cleared of polyps has come back from its near death experience.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back