Fish died

csorime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While doing a water change ..(so reactors were off carbon: gfo) my wife decided to spray hairspray near tank.. within 10-15 min all my fish with the exception of a purple tang were dead.. this is a reefer 350 .. could they have died so fast with the introduction of this pollutant

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While doing a water change ..(so reactors were off carbon: gfo) my wife decided to spray hairspray near tank.. within 10-15 min all my fish with the exception of a purple tang were dead.. this is a reefer 350 .. could they have died so fast with the introduction of this pollutant

OMG!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long wwre the reactors off? They can go anaerobic if off for awhile(more than an hr).

Hairspray shouldn't cause that kind of reaction either, unless added purposely to the tank, and in substantial quantities.

OP
OP
C

csorime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were only off for 20 min tops.. I was only doing a 3/12 gallon change.. .. feeling accomplished after I had cleaned tank. Sitting on couch I noticed flame angel was on sand bed.. getting up to investigate the horror begins.. all my fish gone . Inverts seem fine,:

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very sorry. I would suspect a contaminant in the new water??? Surprised the inverts are still alive.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were only off for 20 min tops.. I was only doing a 3/12 gallon change.. .. feeling accomplished after I had cleaned tank. Sitting on couch I noticed flame angel was on sand bed.. getting up to investigate the horror begins.. all my fish gone . Inverts seem fine,:
Inverts should be more sensitive to chemicals introduced to the tank. This speaks to a short term oxygen depletion.

OP
OP
C

csorime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts should be more sensitive to chemicals introduced to the tank. This speaks to a short term oxygen depletion.

Thank you.. I just don't understand what happened.. I didn't do anything out of the norm of a quick water change. . That's why I thought it might be the hairspray. Or whatever it was she was spraying in on her hair ... sigh

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry you went through this! There are so many possibilities.
First is that hair spray contains alcohol which can lead to a bacteria bloom. The bacteria bloom can deprive the tank of oxygen.
Hair sprays also contain long polymer chains. I would imagine that could foul a fishes gills and make it difficult for them to breathe. :(

OP
OP
C

csorime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry you went through this! There are so many possibilities.
First is that hair spray contains alcohol which can lead to a bacteria bloom. The bacteria bloom can deprive the tank of oxygen.
Hair sprays also contain long polymer chains. I would imagine that could foul a fishes gills and make it difficult for them to breathe. :(

I believe you are so right because the water now looked cloudy which alarmed me.. sigh head Wally .. face palm you name it.: heart broken

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are so right because the water now looked cloudy which alarmed me.. sigh head Wally .. face palm you name it.: heart broken
I think we often forget that part of maintaining the water is maintaining the air that intracts with the water. Maybe not us so much as those that live with us. It's sad when such an innocent and unintentional activity can cause so much rapid harm.

OP
OP
C

csorime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know she feels bad .. so I just have to chalk it up.. I'm bald so no hairspray for me, but I've said it a gazillion times please don't spray near tank

Back