Fish dissapeared

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent seened my rainford goby in a few days. Usually pops out for a few hours a day then goes away. Yesterday i saw a few nassarius snails poking into its burrow. The fish is very small. 1.5 inches maybe. Should i be worried about a possible ammonia spike. Tank is 35 gallons in water volume. I probably feed that fish’ body mass daily in frozen food and my phos and nitrate stay at .03 and 1ppm respectively. Heavy filtration. Should i worry? Its probably hiding somewhere alive. But i want peace of mind

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want peace of mind, then test your water daily for ammonia, twice if you want to. There is no more definitive thing than actual results.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes agree an ammonia test is in order if your suspicious.
Is this the only inhabitant in the tank other than the snails?
Was the tank properly cycled ?
Age of the tank?
Current water parameters?

If he and the few snails are the only inhabitants and your feeding his body mass dailey then yes you have an issue.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes agree an ammonia test is in order if your suspicious.
Is this the only inhabitant in the tank other than the snails?
Was the tank properly cycled ?
Age of the tank?
Current water parameters?

If he and the few snails are the only inhabitants and your feeding his body mass dailey then yes you have an issue.
Tanks been up for a year and a half, has 4 other fish, i cycled maybe 5 months with dry rock. Ill test ammonia daily, tested yesterday it was 0. The thing is something cleared out the burrow because yesterday it was barried in sand. I dont see anything in the burrow that i can see.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been up for a year and a half, has 4 other fish, i cycled maybe 5 months with dry rock. Ill test ammonia daily, tested yesterday it was 0. The thing is something cleared out the burrow because yesterday it was barried in sand. I dont see anything in the burrow that i can see.

Yea that's not good but he may have moved to a different spot, that you can't see?

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be pessimistic, but anytime a fish that was smaller than 2.5” or so died, they usually just went missing and I never saw any evidence that they ever existed. Cleaning made quick work of their remains.

Larger fish tended to get stuck to my powerheads when they died.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through the same thing, cant find Gobert my goby. I reaquascaped last week and saw him moving in his hole under rock. I'm wondering if a rock may have pinned him. I lifted what I could with no success. Hopefully he'll pop out one day. I hope you find yours ok and healthy

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either way, if he died and my cuc took care of him thats fine, as long as my corals are fine. But i noticed near the back of my tank the sand is really white. Im pretty sure the goby was hanging out there turning over the sand where its inpossible for ne to get a view. I just dont want an ammonia spike. Im starting to finally see an increase in consumption on my dkh and calc.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through the same thing, cant find Gobert my goby. I reaquascaped last week and saw him moving in his hole under rock. I'm wondering if a rock may have pinned him. I lifted what I could with no success. Hopefully he'll pop out one day. I hope you find yours ok and healthy
I dont think a rock pinned him. My firefish dissapears every night somewere. My lawnmower blenny on the other hand cant decide the best spot to sleep. Used to sleep under my torch

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t have an ammonia spike from that little guy if he did meet his end. I hope he turns up, but if he doesn’t I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t have an ammonia spike from that little guy if he did meet his end. I hope he turns up, but if he doesn’t I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Agree to small to cause an issue

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree to small to cause an issue
Thats good to hear, but i have read many stories here how people have had a fish turn up after a year or a few months. One guy had an engineer goby that swam under this crate he had his rocks on for 2 years until he broke the tank down. Thanks!

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction, it's been 8 days since mine has been missing and he literally just poked his head out. I hope yours is just hiding as well

20200528_173627.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back