Fish dying in nano tank after powerhead introduction

asaharan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 20 gallon aio which currently has 2 clown fish, one astrea snail and one fighting conch. Recently (a month ago) I changed the powerhead to a MP10 from Maxspect Gyre. A few days after the introduction, my tailspot blenny died. I have tried introducing 2 fish (white lined combtooth blenny and biota court jester). They were introduced about a month apart but both died within 12 hours from their introduction. There was no aggression, clownfish barely even noticed the new guy and water parameters have been a bit off (0.12 phosphate and 15ppm nitrate) but nothing alarming that would kill the fish. Any ideas?

OP
OP
A

asaharan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to check for that? Also wouldn’t that affect the pre existing livestock in the tank?

N00bieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a volt meter set it to 120 AC. Ground the black probe and put the tip of the red one in the tank water

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a voltage multimeter for $15 at Walmart. I would test all of your equipment one by one either in or outside of the tank. If you don't have a grounding probe, that is needed in your tank also.

OP
OP
A

asaharan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! What’s the appropriate voltage reading a 20 gallon aio should be reading for safe limits?

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical current is a good idea to check. I'd take the power head out immediately and check it in another bucket or something. Also, this new power head kick up any of your sand bed?

OP
OP
A

asaharan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical current is a good idea to check. I'd take the power head out immediately and check it in another bucket or something. Also, this new power head kick up any of your sand bed?
Not really, it created a mounds and valleys a bit, nothing too extreme

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back