Fish dying one by one over 6 months...

spiffyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I'm trying to get a better sense of what may be causing the fish to die off in my tank over the last 6 months. The tank has been running for 8 months - a new 100 gallon tank. I transferred 3 original fish into this tank from one cube 20 (firefish, pink streaked wrasse, tanaka pygmy wrasse) followed by 4 others from a seperate cube 20 (2 clownfish, yellow watchman goby, tailspot blenny). All of those fish were healthy and living peacefully in those tanks for about 2 years before moving into the new tank. Unfortunately, I did not QT the fish when I bought them or when I moved them into the new tank (mistake I know). Right after I moved them, the firefish died (I chalked this up to stress). But then I started losing one fish at a time at random times. The watchman goby died second, and the pink streaked wrasse died third. The pink streaked wrasse lived for about 7 months in the new tank. I also attempted to add a group of three juvenile bangii cardinalfish and a royal gramma to the tank (at separate times) during this 6-month period and they all died after about 2-3 weeks in the tank. I drip acclimated them but did not use an acclimation box. Of the original 7 fish, the two clownfish, tailspot blenny, and tanaka wrasse are still alive, but this week the tailspot blenny developed a pretty big hole in his side behind the side fin (sorry I'm still trying to get a good picture of it). I think this might be a bacterial infection from fighting with the royal gramma but I am not sure. Regarding the fish that have died, I noticed that they would stop coming out to eat over ~3-5 days. I would find them laying on the bottom of the tank with labored breathing, but could never visually see any spots, sores, or slime. They die off one by one and there is no real pattern with the timing. My basic water parameters seem okay (Nitrate 20, Phosphate 1.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Salinity 35 ppt, Temp ~78) but I haven't done any comprehensive testing yet. During this same time period, all of my euphyllia died off too (but none of the other corals and none of the inverts have died). The euphyllia deaths might have been a coincidence due to a lighting issue. I know there is most likely disease in the tank, but could this also be a bullying problem? I have seen tailspot blenny chasing the royal gramma around the tank, but as far as I can tell my clowns keep to themselves. At this point, I think I'm going to pull the living fish in QT and go fallow so I can reset as best I can and use the QT & acclimation box going forward. But what does this sound like to you? Clearly something is happening, but I can't nail it down.

Last edited:

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible history here. I'm sorry for such a rough ride. Quick question.. How do you maintain your water level? Do you have an ato?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,
I'm trying to get a better sense of what may be causing the fish to die off in my tank over the last 6 months. The tank has been running for 8 months - a new 100 gallon tank. I transferred 3 original fish into this tank from one cube 20 (firefish, pink streaked wrasse, tanaka pygmy wrasse) followed by 4 others from a seperate cube 20 (2 clownfish, yellow watchman goby, tailspot blenny). All of those fish were healthy and living peacefully in those tanks for about 2 years before moving into the new tank. Unfortunately, I did not QT the fish when I bought them or when I moved them into the new tank (mistake I know). Right after I moved them, the firefish died (I chalked this up to stress). But then I started losing one fish at a time at random times. The watchman goby died second, and the pink streaked wrasse died third. The pink streaked wrasse lived for about 7 months in the new tank. I also attempted to add a group of three juvenile bangii cardinalfish and a royal gramma to the tank (at separate times) during this 6-month period and they all died after about 2-3 weeks in the tank. I drip acclimated them but did not use an acclimation box. Of the original 7 fish, the two clownfish, tailspot blenny, and tanaka wrasse are still alive, but this week the tailspot blenny developed a pretty big hole in his side behind the side fin (sorry I'm still trying to get a good picture of it). I think this might be a bacterial infection from fighting with the royal gramma but I am not sure. Regarding the fish that have died, I noticed that they would stop coming out to eat over ~3-5 days. I would find them laying on the bottom of the tank with labored breathing, but could never visually see any spots, sores, or slime. They die off one by one and there is no real pattern with the timing. My basic water parameters seem okay (Nitrate 20, Phosphate 1.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Salinity 35 ppt, Temp ~78) but I haven't done any comprehensive testing yet. During this same time period, all of my euphyllia died off too (but none of the other corals and none of the inverts have died). I know there is most likely disease in the tank, but could this also be a bullying problem? I have seen tailspot blenny chasing the royal gramma around the tank, but as far as I can tell my clowns keep to themselves. At this point, I think I'm going to pull the living fish in QT and go fallow so I can reset as best I can and use the QT & acclimation box going forward. But what does this sound like to you? Clearly something is happening, but I can't nail it down.
Phos a little elevated (.04-.06) but mot the amswer. What test kits are you using ?
The dropping like flies effects are generally associated with flukes or velvet.
Other than loss f appetite, ant itching or twithching ?
Any yawning effects?
Rapid breathing?
Lethargic behavior or hiding?

OP
OP
spiffyreefer

spiffyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Basic concept I know but just thinking about what parameters might swing to cause this...
I
Phos a little elevated (.04-.06) but mot the amswer. What test kits are you using ?
The dropping like flies effects are generally associated with flukes or velvet.
Other than loss f appetite, ant itching or twithching ?
Any yawning effects?
Rapid breathing?
Lethargic behavior or hiding?
Response in bold....
Phos a little elevated (.04-.06) but mot the amswer. What test kits are you using ? API master test kit and hanna checker for phosphate
The dropping like flies effects are generally associated with flukes or velvet. could be, I assumed velvet would wipe them out all at once
Other than loss f appetite, ant itching or twithching ? none of these previously (today my tailspot blenny with a hole in his side seems to be scratching on a rock - but none of the other fish had this kind of thing)
Any yawning effects? no
Rapid breathing? no
Lethargic behavior or hiding? yes both

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all,
I'm trying to get a better sense of what may be causing the fish to die off in my tank over the last 6 months. The tank has been running for 8 months - a new 100 gallon tank. I transferred 3 original fish into this tank from one cube 20 (firefish, pink streaked wrasse, tanaka pygmy wrasse) followed by 4 others from a seperate cube 20 (2 clownfish, yellow watchman goby, tailspot blenny). All of those fish were healthy and living peacefully in those tanks for about 2 years before moving into the new tank. Unfortunately, I did not QT the fish when I bought them or when I moved them into the new tank (mistake I know). Right after I moved them, the firefish died (I chalked this up to stress). But then I started losing one fish at a time at random times. The watchman goby died second, and the pink streaked wrasse died third. The pink streaked wrasse lived for about 7 months in the new tank. I also attempted to add a group of three juvenile bangii cardinalfish and a royal gramma to the tank (at separate times) during this 6-month period and they all died after about 2-3 weeks in the tank. I drip acclimated them but did not use an acclimation box. Of the original 7 fish, the two clownfish, tailspot blenny, and tanaka wrasse are still alive, but this week the tailspot blenny developed a pretty big hole in his side behind the side fin (sorry I'm still trying to get a good picture of it). I think this might be a bacterial infection from fighting with the royal gramma but I am not sure. Regarding the fish that have died, I noticed that they would stop coming out to eat over ~3-5 days. I would find them laying on the bottom of the tank with labored breathing, but could never visually see any spots, sores, or slime. They die off one by one and there is no real pattern with the timing. My basic water parameters seem okay (Nitrate 20, Phosphate 1.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Salinity 35 ppt, Temp ~78) but I haven't done any comprehensive testing yet. During this same time period, all of my euphyllia died off too (but none of the other corals and none of the inverts have died). The euphyllia deaths might have been a coincidence due to a lighting issue. I know there is most likely disease in the tank, but could this also be a bullying problem? I have seen tailspot blenny chasing the royal gramma around the tank, but as far as I can tell my clowns keep to themselves. At this point, I think I'm going to pull the living fish in QT and go fallow so I can reset as best I can and use the QT & acclimation box going forward. But what does this sound like to you? Clearly something is happening, but I can't nail it down.
Without reading the rest of the answers - This sounds like bullying/injury. Disease - unless you're not feeding appropriately (no offense) - should not act this way. My guess is that a fish is bullying the weakest - and they are slowly 'dropping'. It could also be a a mantis shrimp, etc etc - depending on the source of your tank - unless you have more information?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I

Response in bold....
Phos a little elevated (.04-.06) but mot the amswer. What test kits are you using ? API master test kit and hanna checker for phosphate
The dropping like flies effects are generally associated with flukes or velvet. could be, I assumed velvet would wipe them out all at once
Other than loss f appetite, ant itching or twithching ? none of these previously (today my tailspot blenny with a hole in his side seems to be scratching on a rock - but none of the other fish had this kind of thing)
Any yawning effects? no
Rapid breathing? no
Lethargic behavior or hiding? yes both
Sounds like it may be flukes and I would suggest to take a water sample to a trusted LFS that des Not use Api test kits and have them test it and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without reading the rest of the answers - This sounds like bullying/injury. Disease - unless you're not feeding appropriately (no offense) - should not act this way. My guess is that a fish is bullying the weakest - and they are slowly 'dropping'. It could also be a a mantis shrimp, etc etc - depending on the source of your tank - unless you have more information?
I am going to go with a parasite, poor feeding (the weakest is not eating enough - and dying) - or bullying. A parasite like a fluke is possible - but not many symptoms

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not think API test kits play a role - nor do I think any test kit would cause this type of symptoms. I.e. - you could use salifert, API, hanna, etc - no parameter change that I can think of - would cause this type of symptomatology. IMHO - something found on a test kit - will kill everything more quickly - as compared to 1 by 1. unless you're adding fish 1 by 1 and the newest are dying.

OP
OP
spiffyreefer

spiffyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it may be flukes and I would suggest to take a water sample to a trusted LFS that des Not use Api test kits and have them test it and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours
thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With chronic fish loss over a long time frame, you need to consider that the losses may not all be related. You need to try and match up the circumstances and symptoms to look for trends.
Jay

OP
OP
spiffyreefer

spiffyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think API test kits play a role - nor do I think any test kit would cause this type of symptoms. I.e. - you could use salifert, API, hanna, etc - no parameter change that I can think of - would cause this type of symptomatology. IMHO - something found on a test kit - will kill everything more quickly - as compared to 1 by 1. unless you're adding fish 1 by 1 and the newest are dying.
both original fish and new fish have died, so it doesn't seem specific to new fish per se. I didn't add the original fish one by one. I do think bullying has been an issue with the new fish, but not sure about the old ones. They are fed well with a variety of foods so I don't believe that to be the issue. They were all eating consistently before they started to exhibit symptoms. No large pests in the tank that I'm aware of (but obviously that doesn't mean they aren't there). I have some large bristleworms but that has never caused a problem for me before.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same type of problem years a go on a 9 month old tank . The only thing I did over time was dropped salinity down . And all my readings of water were ok . First of all I thought the tank wasn’t mature enough. But like I said the water was spot on. Sometimes with mixed fish tanks if all the fish are getting the same food are we covering every need of every fish

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back