Fish dying

kgh9555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established tank 10 years plus. 150g, live rock, Refugium sump (trigger emerald 39), apex system with apex dc pump with flow of 688. Water chemistry is good (0 ammonia, 0 intrite, 5 nitrate, 0 phosphate, 8.1 PH). 2 reef breeder leds. Coral, anenome, 2” sand bed and 36 watt UV. Had 2 file fish, blue gas trigger, square back Anthius (1 male 2 female), Atlantic blue tang, tomini tang, 2 clown 3 green chromis, diamond back gobbi, a clam and 1 cleaner shrimp. One by one the fish are dying. As of today have 1 clown, 1 green chromis and the diamond gobbi. One of the female anthius had a big spot on the belly and was not eating. It died and removed it right away. We also purchased brown spotted rabbit in the past month which died with a few weeks. We have never used house hold cleaners near the tank at all. No air fresheners nothing goes near the tank. We mix our salt and have an aqidic life twist RODI system with 0 tds. I am totally frustrated and at a loss as to what is wrong. It is obvious that there some kind of bacteria in the water. Clam, corals and anemone appear to be doing fine as well as the sand sifter star fish. Does any one have any ideas and/or suggestions. Desperate

F8138393-0F23-4374-97DC-C0331B8326EA.jpeg DC55CDAA-B731-49E0-826B-7EE0581FE1C9.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have better response over in the fish disease forum. Here is a link to how to post a fish disease report:

Just off the cuff though, the anthias in the picture seems to have Uronema. It is probable that your fish losses are not all related though. One common theme is - if your corals and invertebrates are thriving, then it is NOT a toxin or water quality issue and you should focus on possible fish diseases.

Jay

p.s. - Uronema is difficult to treat and impossible to treat when it reaches the stage that anthias has. Luckily it won't spread to all other fish like ich will. Here is an article I wrote on that issue:

OP
OP
K

kgh9555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay and thank you for the response.
My LFS Said that the fish had internal bleeding from what they did not know. They wanted to sell me some kind of medication but they were unsure if it would hurt the corals and other invertebrate.

I agree that there is some kind of bacteria in the tank which is hurting the fish. Even if I go and purchase new fish in quarantine them, it doesn’t sound like I am doing the fish any justice.

So I’m unclear as to what my options are here. Do I complete a few order changes, take down the tank and thoroughly clean it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back