Fish dying

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so upsetting watching my fish die one by one and being helpless to do anything, I can’t put them in the quarantine because it’s not cycled yet, and I can’t expose my other tank.
Any suggestions??
The coral sand inverts are all healthy and none have died so I’m fairly certain it’s something that the last two fish brought into the tank, both are dead now
You could start your QT using biomaterial from your DT, or even those "bacteria in a bottle" products, to be honest, that's what I thought you were doing.

To completely eliminate disease from your DT it needs to remain fishless for around 75 days. In many cases, 45 days is long enough for ich and velvet, but to be certain, since you have an undiagnosed issue here, I'd opt for the longer period.

jay

Uncle_Matthew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could start your QT using biomaterial from your DT, or even those "bacteria in a bottle" products, to be honest, that's what I thought you were doing.

To completely eliminate disease from your DT it needs to remain fishless for around 75 days. In many cases, 45 days is long enough for ich and velvet, but to be certain, since you have an undiagnosed issue here, I'd opt for the longer period.

jay
Listen to this guys he’s a lot more experienced than me!

Side note for Jay Ive had good luck with UV and copper in the past for disease for QT and sterilization of the DT (if inverts and corals where not in the picture) would you agree or do you have any better methods im always looking to learn

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Initially none showed any signs the last two were breathing funny

#reefsq

1. 5/8 is to bad all things considered keep your head up if you give up so will your tank

2. I personally run UV on all my tanks at 1w every gallons but I’m also not a expert check lfs even Petco try to find one you can drop in right into display so enclosed and sumbersible for the time being then you can throw it in sump or plumb a proper Bigger or better unit in later

3 do you have a small tank you can use your water from DISPLAY tank move fish to that tank treat then put back into display? I’ve done this a couple time on emergencies

I’m no marine scientist just sharing what’s helped me in the past

any thoughts #reefsquad

jay
I used dr Tim’s one and only, but since realized I can take 10 gallons out of my 28 gallon and move the few fish left into a ten gallon tank
What’s my first step as far as what type medications do I add and in what order?
If I leave the main display fishless for 3 months is it safe to start restocking then ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used dr Tim’s one and only, but since realized I can take 10 gallons out of my 28 gallon and move the few fish left into a ten gallon tank
What’s my first step as far as what type medications do I add and in what order?
If I leave the main display fishless for 3 months is it safe to start restocking then ?

I'm really sorry - the video tells the tale: the fish have end-stage protozoan infection. I can't tell you which one because they all look the same in the end. My guess is that it is velvet/Amyloodinium, based on the rapid onset. If it had been marine ich, you would have seen random white spots on the fish long before you saw any rapid breathing. Brooklynella would have cause mucus sheets to drop off the clownfish. Copper works for ich and velvet, but not for Brooklynella.

The main issue is that copper takes up to 3 days to begin to work, and these fish may not have that long to go.

Jay

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry - the video tells the tale: the fish have end-stage protozoan infection. I can't tell you which one because they all look the same in the end. My guess is that it is velvet/Amyloodinium, based on the rapid onset. If it had been marine ich, you would have seen random white spots on the fish long before you saw any rapid breathing. Brooklynella would have cause mucus sheets to drop off the clownfish. Copper works for ich and velvet, but not for Brooklynella.

The main issue is that copper takes up to 3 days to begin to work, and these fish may not have that long to go.

Jay
3 fish are showing no signs yet as far as the breathing and restlessness, is there still hope for those fish if I start the copper now ?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
If I am able to save the remaining fish using the copper will I use another medication after that or just the copper

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am able to save the remaining fish using the copper will I use another medication after that or just the copper
I can’t see the videos, but it sounds like Velvet.

I’d personally FW dip or H2O2 dip immediately to remove as many as possible and get them into a clean treatment tank with NSW. Then get them up to a therapeutic level (2.5 ppm) of Copper Power asap. I try to do that in 2 days. Maybe just dump them directly in therapeutic level initially depending on how bad they are (they sound bad). You don’t have much time or much to loose.

If they make it through that (slim chance) I’d start Prazipro or API General Cure immediately afterwards.

This is why I prefer prophylactic treatment for all my fish including the fish I’m treating now. I get the jump on any parasites before they get out of control. If they don’t have any…great.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not responding sooner, I was in meetings all day.

Getting them into full copper right away is best. I use coppersafe and the Hanna high range checker. Other people use Cupramine, also with the high range tester.

You are going to want to get the fish into full copper within 12 hours or so. Even then, it may not be fast enough if this is velvet.

Jay

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Will I fol

Getting them into full copper right away is best. I use coppersafe and the Hanna high range checker. Other people use Cupramine, also with the high range tester.

You are going to want to get the fish into full copper within 12 hours or so. Even then, it may not be fast enough if this is velvet.

Jay

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Jay, give Copper Power a try. It’s good stuff! I used Cupramine for years and it was hard for me to switch because I knew it worked. It was just a bit harsh. Then I tried Coppersafe. After I tired Copper Power and observed how stable it was and how the calculations would bring the dose almost exactly on point, I’ve never turned back. :)

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, give Copper Power a try. It’s good stuff! I used Cupramine for years and it was hard for me to switch because I knew it worked. It was just a bit harsh. Then I tried Coppersafe. After I tired Copper Power and observed how stable it was and how the calculations would bring the dose almost exactly on point, I’ve never turned back. :)
I was able to move the remaining fish and start treatment, so far everyone is alive and doing ok.
Thanks for all the advice

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Copper Power being stable and easily/accurately dosed with a calculator…

8876CB38-7D34-4616-96E5-A1A861C567D8.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back