Fish dying

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
On Thursday, I noticed my Foxface stuck to a Powerhead. The previous day it had been totally fine and eating. I moved it to my hospital tank and observed it for a day. I realized then that it was quite thin and swimming very lethargically and would easily get sucked against the Powerhead that I had in the tank (which I subsequently removed). Thinking that it could be intestinal, I treated with Prazipro. Unfortunately the fish continued to decline and this morning was dead.

Just a few minutes ago, I noticed my Picasso clown exhibiting the same behavior. This morning it seemed totally fine, swimming and eating normally. I was able to pull it off my overflow weir where it was stuck and put it in the same hospital tank that I had the Foxface in. It appears to be breathing quickly but other than that, I don’t notice any physical signs of disease. It is swimming very lazily and really just floating around with the current. It kicks its tail every now and then but that’s it.

Could really use some advice as it seems to be spreading now. I’m worried my tank is going downhill quickly. Tank was setup in March 2022 but used a lot of mature rock from my two year old Fluval Evo that I upgraded from.

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrate - 1.5ppm
Phosphate - 0.03ppm
Alk - 9.3
Calcium - 383ppm
Temp - 79F
pH - 8.2
Salinity - 34.6ppt

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Here is a video of my Picasso clown. I also just noticed that one of my chromis is being very cryptic which is unusual. It’s hiding and appears to be in distress.

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Do you have any pictures?
Have the fish been eating well? Any white stringy poo?
Any white spots visible at all?
Not that I have noticed on this fish. The Foxface did exhibit some white powdery poo which is why I initially treated with Prazipro but this fish has been totally healthy for months.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish is gasping for air. Also see dead snails in video. Can you get close up pic of clown.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a video of my Picasso clown. I also just noticed that one of my chromis is being very cryptic which is unusual. It’s hiding and appears to be in distress.

Sounds like oxygen depletion from either ammonia (possible false readings) or flukes or similar
-Any scratching, yawning effect or loss of appetite?
what test kits are you using?
Any gradual weight loss?
-Are you using ro water or tap water from the faucet?

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Sounds like oxygen depletion from either ammonia (possible false readings) or flukes or similar
-Any scratching, yawning effect or loss of appetite?
what test kits are you using?
Any gradual weight loss?
-Are you using ro water or tap water from the faucet?
I tested ammonia with a salifert kit. It was cloudy but white and indicated no color change. I use RODI water that I make myself. Just checked my reservoir and it’s at 0TDS.
I have not noticed and scratching or flashing, no yawning or loss of appetite. This fish was acting totally normal when I fed the tank this morning.

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Unfortunately, I don’t think this poor guy is going to live more than a few more hours. It’s going downhill really fast.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On Thursday, I noticed my Foxface stuck to a Powerhead. The previous day it had been totally fine and eating. I moved it to my hospital tank and observed it for a day. I realized then that it was quite thin and swimming very lethargically and would easily get sucked against the Powerhead that I had in the tank (which I subsequently removed). Thinking that it could be intestinal, I treated with Prazipro. Unfortunately the fish continued to decline and this morning was dead.

Just a few minutes ago, I noticed my Picasso clown exhibiting the same behavior. This morning it seemed totally fine, swimming and eating normally. I was able to pull it off my overflow weir where it was stuck and put it in the same hospital tank that I had the Foxface in. It appears to be breathing quickly but other than that, I don’t notice any physical signs of disease. It is swimming very lazily and really just floating around with the current. It kicks its tail every now and then but that’s it.

Could really use some advice as it seems to be spreading now. I’m worried my tank is going downhill quickly. Tank was setup in March 2022 but used a lot of mature rock from my two year old Fluval Evo that I upgraded from.

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrate - 1.5ppm
Phosphate - 0.03ppm
Alk - 9.3
Calcium - 383ppm
Temp - 79F
pH - 8.2
Salinity - 34.6ppt
I'm just going to respond - without reading the rest for now -

1. Thin-ness does not evolve overnight - so my guess is that it is a chronic issue. How long have you had the fish, etc etc - i.e. the questions designed to help are in the link in my signature. The fact that other fish are affected (and assuming not invertebrates) - suggests that it's a parasite or disease of some sort 'of fish'. I would suggest velvet - OR - potentially a fluke infection - thats far advanced - as compared to something that happened days ago. Of course the clown could have brook or something else - as compared to the other fish. More information would be very helpful - as well as the question - did you QT the fish with treatment before adding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tested ammonia with a salifert kit. It was cloudy but white and indicated no color change. I use RODI water that I make myself. Just checked my reservoir and it’s at 0TDS.
I have not noticed and scratching or flashing, no yawning or loss of appetite. This fish was acting totally normal when I fed the tank this morning.
Velvet may be other possibility

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'm just going to respond - without reading the rest for now -

1. Thin-ness does not evolve overnight - so my guess is that it is a chronic issue. How long have you had the fish, etc etc - i.e. the questions designed to help are in the link in my signature. The fact that other fish are affected (and assuming not invertebrates) - suggests that it's a parasite or disease of some sort 'of fish'. I would suggest velvet - OR - potentially a fluke infection - thats far advanced - as compared to something that happened days ago. Of course the clown could have brook or something else - as compared to the other fish. More information would be very helpful - as well as the question - did you QT the fish with treatment before adding.
I quarantined for observation only. I treat only if the fish displays something concerning but all my fish spent two weeks in observation before I added them to the DT.
I am not sure it’s brook or velvet since there are no external indicators that something is wrong.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large number of white spots is what velvet is famous for, but often those don’t show up until the end stages and you may not even notice them by the time the fish dies.

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Heavy/fast breathing and the quick deaths does indicate velvet.
Have you noticed any fish acting off (mainly swimming into the flow)?
My melanarus wrasse has been circling one of my powerheads rapidly but not swimming into the flow. It’s unusual behavior for this fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back