Fish eating coral..

Phillthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new issue im having. I just received frags in the mail. Everything opened up nice and seemed to he doing well. I wake up yesterday and one of my zoa frags with 10 polyp on it completely gone and one of my gsp are on the bottom of the tank. The plugs on these frags are atleast a inch long and fit nice in my frag holder. So i know it wasnt flow that did this. So yesterday after work i get home and i see my blue tang eating my superman acro and im like what the heck .. I feed them in the morning before work and when i get home. So i fed them a little more than usual after i seen that. Well this morning 2 of my gsp are out of the rack and my superman. Wtffff Im feeding them brine shrimp ..flakes .. Dried bloodworms... And pellets .. I have a yellow tang a blue tang 3 clownfish and 4 damsels. 2 Royal damsels a zebra and just another blue one but different. Anyone see a problem here?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be nipping at algae growing around the coral and not the actual coral. Is there algae in the tank for them to eat? If not, you could try offering nori on a clip or rubberbanded to a rock.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple things that could be the issue. Lets take a look at your chemistry levels. Please provide: Salinity, Nitrate, Phosphate, Calc and Alk please. Second Blue tangs are sometimes seen as one of the tangs that eat zoas, LPS and SPS. This is quite possible but it could be just nipping at algae. How often do you feedd the tank and give seaweed. If it is really the tang who is eating you have two options. try to feed the tank heavily with hopes the fish is content or sadly I have to say is sell the fish making note that it does eat coral in your care. Hope this helps.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry didn't see how many times you fed. Do you feed any frozen food? I tend to feed a high quality frozen which I feed 1-2x every other day. My tank also gets fed automatically 6x a day with pellets + 4 sheets of nori. Keep in mind this is just for a foxface and 3 other tangs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back