Fish food questions

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have 2 questions.

# 1 Why do fish have a tendency after a bit to stop eating the food and just swim past it and if they do eat another one, chew it for a bit and then spit it out?

# 2 What is a way to spice up your fishes diet? I currently have 2 clownfish, bicolor blenny, gold head sleeper goby, and a clown goby.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do not really like the food. Or 2. They are full but can't help themselves from trying with food in front of their face.

To spice things up, feed a variety of foods instead of just one type.

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

# 1 Why do fish have a tendency after a bit to stop eating the food and just swim past it and if they do eat another one, chew it for a bit and then spit it out?

# 2 What is a way to spice up your fishes diet? I currently have 2 clownfish, bicolor blenny, gold head sleeper goby, and a clown goby.
I know some people use garlic to entice the fish to eat. No clue about #1 since mine do the same thing even if I skip a couple days.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time mine EVER pass on food is: a) it's not in their normal diet (Nori & Clownfish aren't normal) b) they are stressed. Usually I mix a variety of foods - Nori, Clams, shrimp & pellets. For the most part, my fish would eat until they exploded and their all fat & happy.

I do use garlic on Nori just to keep herbivores healthy and add a couple drops of Selcon (vitamins) for the others.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do not really like the food. Or 2. They are full but can't help themselves from trying with food in front of their face.

To spice things up, feed a variety of foods instead of just one type.

I believe they do like the food because when they are very hungry they go about eating a lot of it. So they could just be full.

What would you guys recommend to feed them? Do you guys buy premade cubes or make your own? Atm they just eat mysis shrimp.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re only feeding mysis it might that you’re seeing them spit out exoskeletal parts they don’t want to eat. Some of my fish will suck in and blow out larger mysis until they get all the insides out, then spit out the exo. They’ll go after it again if they see it float by because they aren’t smart enough to remember they already are the good parts.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) That's how they chew on food in many cases or they tried it and didn't like it.

2) Go with LRS Reef Frenzy as it provides pretty much a full omnivore diet in one food source.

Here is everything it offers in one food source:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the cheapo frozen seafood medley from winco (or the asian supermarket) and blend it up with seaweed, mysis shrimp, garlic guard, selcon, and Zoe. It's cheap, healthy, and easy to make! Also the fish love it

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re only feeding mysis it might that you’re seeing them spit out exoskeletal parts they don’t want to eat. Some of my fish will suck in and blow out larger mysis until they get all the insides out, then spit out the exo. They’ll go after it again if they see it float by because they aren’t smart enough to remember they already are the good parts.
Haha, okay. I never thought of that. Thank you!
1) That's how they chew on food in many cases or they tried it and didn't like it.

2) Go with LRS Reef Frenzy as it provides pretty much a full omnivore diet in one food source.

Here is everything it offers in one food source:

Yeah I saw reef frenzy food and was curious about it. Thank you!
I buy the cheapo frozen seafood medley from winco (or the asian supermarket) and blend it up with seaweed, mysis shrimp, garlic guard, selcon, and Zoe. It's cheap, healthy, and easy to make! Also the fish love it
This is smart!! I appreciate this info to know what I could mix together. Thank you!! ☺️

IndyMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself some Rod's Food or LRS and call it a day. I do soak it in Selcon (don't over do it can cause nutrient issues, just a few drops) and Garlic Guard. Get a shot glass and put the a chunk in drops of Selcon and a little garlic guard. Let it thaw and I break it up with a butter knife most times as well. Wait about 5 minutes drop it in the tank and watch the fish go crazy!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I know some people use garlic to entice the fish to eat. No clue about #1 since mine do the same thing even if I skip a couple days.
I use garlic because it supports the immunity system of fish .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Quality and ingredients make the difference. We’re not gut loading lizards here. As many have mentioned, Lrs gish frenzy and herbivore diet has the the goidies and vitamins in an easy to digest form

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rods or LRS is what I mostly feed. With some live or fresh food, and nls. Have never found garlic to do anything for fish

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself some Rod's Food or LRS and call it a day. I do soak it in Selcon (don't over do it can cause nutrient issues, just a few drops) and Garlic Guard. Get a shot glass and put the a chunk in drops of Selcon and a little garlic guard. Let it thaw and I break it up with a butter knife most times as well. Wait about 5 minutes drop it in the tank and watch the fish go crazy!
Can I just do garlic guard? Or where can I find either of those supplies? But thank you for all those suggestions. I'll do that! ☺️

IndyMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just do garlic guard? Or where can I find either of those supplies? But thank you for all those suggestions. I'll do that! ☺

Sure, the procedure above is just what I do. Selcon or Zoecon is just like a multivitamin formula for your fish. Just another supplement that I do to help. I am betting that Amazon has Selcon.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some fish appear to find pellets too hard (if it is not pre-soaked) and will spit the pellets back out multiple times until the pellets soften up or the fish moves on. ME Corals fish food pellets are softer and I’ve never seen my fish spit it back out and they always actively go after it. This is one of the several types of foods that I feed to my fish.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, the procedure above is just what I do. Selcon or Zoecon is just like a multivitamin formula for your fish. Just another supplement that I do to help. I am betting that Amazon has Selcon.
And I should be able to get garlic guard from Amazon too right? Also what's LRS? I'm relatively new to the hobby so there's still a lot I don't know. ☺️

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E1C4C57D-3AAC-4143-A9A6-E8FB96108C5F.png
E1C4C57D-3AAC-4143-A9A6-E8FB96108C5F.png

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, should be.
There’s a few dif blends. They have a website

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back