Fish for 125 gallon

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know, I hate these posts…. Buuuuuut…. Daddy found a 125 gallon on Facebook market place finally. What are some fish that are approved in a 125? I currently have a kole tang in a 90, she is doing fine.

curious as to what the “next step up” in fish are with the added 2 feet of length. Will be a bit shorter which I like, 24” tall tanks suck

OP
OP
Sir Kon Salty Sox

Sir Kon Salty Sox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upon further research I have stumbled upon the orange shoulder tang. what's the call on this fish in a 6' tank ? I am seeing 180 minimum but not sure if that is just because of the 6' length or not

yellow tangs do nothing for me :( I love wrasse. I didn't know they made cowfish. Can you milk them ?

OP
OP
Sir Kon Salty Sox

Sir Kon Salty Sox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chromis was my first ever saltwater fish back in 2012, named Avocado. I started the livestock of my 75 with one chromis , developed uronema and passed on to fish Heaven. For the amount of poop they produce you would think they would be bigger! Gem tang - i gotta start making gem tang money lol

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chromis was my first ever saltwater fish back in 2012, named Avocado. I started the livestock of my 75 with one chromis , developed uronema and passed on to fish Heaven. For the amount of poop they produce you would think they would be bigger! Gem tang - i gotta start making gem tang money lol
Im just sayin, it would be legit.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know, I hate these posts…. Buuuuuut…. Daddy found a 125 gallon on Facebook market place finally. What are some fish that are approved in a 125? I currently have a kole tang in a 90, she is doing fine.

curious as to what the “next step up” in fish are with the added 2 feet of length. Will be a bit shorter which I like, 24” tall tanks suck
Magnificent Foxface or a Tongan Black Foxface, whichever you’d rather get for your money.
My magnificus is in the background of my Cirrhilabrus naokoae. Another fish I recommend (Naokoae Fairy Wrasse).
A281F0F7-248F-473E-A4E6-9CC6A5AB23F6.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnificent Foxface or a Tongan Black Foxface, whichever you’d rather get for your money.
My magnificus is in the background of my Cirrhilabrus naokoae. Another fish I recommend (Naokoae Fairy Wrasse).
A281F0F7-248F-473E-A4E6-9CC6A5AB23F6.jpeg
In the morning I’ll give a more in-depth move. An idea on what you like in a fish will help. For example;
- Patterns?
- Colours?
- Size?
- Aggression?
- Feeding?
- Personality?

What I like in a fish is;
The more minimal patterns, and if a fish has a main body colour with a pattern in one specific colour (Say Macropharyngodon choati has a Silver body but orange patterns) then that’s a fish Im most likely to love. Size is another thing I enjoy. I prefer the smaller fish with a couple of larger fish. I also enjoy having a group of fish that will hide and having some fish you don’t see 24/7.

OP
OP
Sir Kon Salty Sox

Sir Kon Salty Sox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the morning I’ll give a more in-depth move. An idea on what you like in a fish will help. For example;
- Patterns?
- Colours?
- Size?
- Aggression?
- Feeding?
- Personality?

What I like in a fish is;
The more minimal patterns, and if a fish has a main body colour with a pattern in one specific colour (Say Macropharyngodon choati has a Silver body but orange patterns) then that’s a fish Im most likely to love. Size is another thing I enjoy. I prefer the smaller fish with a couple of larger fish. I also enjoy having a group of fish that will hide and having some fish you don’t see 24/7.
I am not yet sold on the foxface, I just can’t get on board. I am for sure going with an orange shoulder tang, and I’d like to get a lavender tang as well. I like active swimmers, hoping to get one “goofy” looking fish like a boxfish or trigger, I like how triggers look like they swim backwards. I want to avoid duplicate colors, and am a fan of the horizontal stripes. Menalanarus wrasse are awesome. I like a solid bold color with a single accent, like my yellow coris with the yellow pop and black dot. The more variation the better, the classic fish shape of tang, torpedo of a wrasse, the long skinny wiggly Midas blenny, have really kept from the tanks inhabitants looking redundant. I am not against keeping the 90 as a FOWLR predator and having a lionfish as main fish in there, wanted to set up a 29g biocube fowlr but just too small for anything fun

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not yet sold on the foxface, I just can’t get on board. I am for sure going with an orange shoulder tang, and I’d like to get a lavender tang as well. I like active swimmers, hoping to get one “goofy” looking fish like a boxfish or trigger, I like how triggers look like they swim backwards. I want to avoid duplicate colors, and am a fan of the horizontal stripes. Menalanarus wrasse are awesome. I like a solid bold color with a single accent, like my yellow coris with the yellow pop and black dot. The more variation the better, the classic fish shape of tang, torpedo of a wrasse, the long skinny wiggly Midas blenny, have really kept from the tanks inhabitants looking redundant. I am not against keeping the 90 as a FOWLR predator and having a lionfish as main fish in there, wanted to set up a 29g biocube fowlr but just too small for anything fun
I wouldn’t do the Orange Shoulder as these get large and active. I personally find they need a 7-8’ tank in the long term. A Lavender may do alright but again these get rather active.
I’ll try to get a list out at some point today :)

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to go with triggers, one of the less aggressive species would be necessary here. You do have some very nice ones to choose from, and price is really all that sets them apart besides color. The best choices would be Niger, Blue throat, Pink Tail, white Tip, or Cross hatch triggers.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 132 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back