OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd recommend looking into smaller, more docile fish that school (Zebra fish, White Cloud Mountain Minnows for example) , as they can be a brilliant site in an aquarium and will not bother and give potential for a pretty and cool CUC

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livebearers (guppies, mollies, swordtails) would be good, then you can sell the offspring to your LFS for some store credit to pay for new equipment or foods. Neocaridina shrimp are a good option too, they multiply quickly and are always in demand. Could get away with having a single fancy goldfish too

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this pond going to indoor or outdoor? The problem with outdoor ponds, is 1) predators can easily snatch the fish out if there's not a net over it, and 2) Winters can get really cold in some areas, so a hard working heater would be required.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this pond going to indoor or outdoor? The problem with outdoor ponds, is 1) predators can easily snatch the fish out if there's not a net over it, and 2) Winters can get really cold in some areas, so a hard working heater would be required.
it seems OP is in Sydney AU according to their description

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Obsessed with fish is in Sydney I believe and said the pond was on a covered porch. That’s as much as I know. Fish selection is going to be dependent on whether or not the pond is going to be heated, or if the porch is enclosed and heated. As far as I can tell, winter temperatures in Sydney reach the low 60s. But I’m in NY so I really don’t know.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Obsessed with fish is in Sydney I believe and said the pond was on a covered porch. That’s as much as I know. Fish selection is going to be dependent on whether or not the pond is going to be heated, or if the porch is enclosed and heated. As far as I can tell, winter temperatures in Sydney reach the low 60s. But I’m in NY so I really don’t know.
46 .7 is lowest average, but who knows with outlier temp days, I suppose we will just have to wait for OP

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems OP is in Sydney AU according to their description
Would need the OP to post how cold it is in the winter, and fi he would be willing to buy the proper equipment for it. We would also need to know the hardness of his water. After that, then we could discuss stocking options.

Could get away with having a single fancy goldfish too
Fancy Goldfish need a minimum tank size of 55-60 gallons for a single fish, so this would not work.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would need the OP to post how cold it is in the winter, and fi he would be willing to buy the proper equipment for it. We would also need to know the hardness of his water. After that, then we could discuss stocking options.

Fancy Goldfish need a minimum tank size of 55-60 gallons for a single fish, so this would not work.
46 .7 is lowest average, but who knows with outlier temp days, I suppose we will just have to wait for OP on porch details

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

well, not really. A 40 breeder has a lot more useful space than a 55 does. A 29 gallon tank is perfectly fine for a fancy goldfish, as long as you have just the one.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@James_O if you do a quick google search you'll find that most people recommend 20 gallons per goldfish. Which to me is a bit small lol I lean towards 30 gallons per goldfish myself

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, not really. A 40 breeder has a lot more useful space than a 55 does. A 29 gallon tank is perfectly fine for a fancy goldfish, as long as you have just the one.
From seriouslyfish.com

"It is recommended to have at least 120×45×45 cm (4×1.5×1.5 ft) for fancy goldfish or at least 180×60×60 cm (6×2×2 ft) for common goldfish. Those are the sizes of tanks that I have seen them grow to full size in. I think part of the reason is that they (especially the “normal” body shaped) need the swimming space, but also goldfish produce a lot of waste and the maintenance burden in smaller tanks is too high for the average fish keeper."

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@James_O if you do a quick google search you'll find that most people recommend 20 gallons per goldfish. Which to me is a bit small lol I lean towards 30 gallons per goldfish myself
You can't trust the first thing you see off of google. You will also see that it's "OK" to keep a Betta in a 1 gallon bowl, and yet we all that's not accurate whatsoever.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That gives me an idea, OP wanted sharks as they are cool, what about some glowfish? they are also interesting with a gimmick of something
I don't condone glowfish, as they have been genetically altered. It's cruel IMHO, and I don't think anyone should support that side of the trade. (They also usually have underlying health problems)

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From seriouslyfish.com

"It is recommended to have at least 120×45×45 cm (4×1.5×1.5 ft) for fancy goldfish or at least 180×60×60 cm (6×2×2 ft) for common goldfish. Those are the sizes of tanks that I have seen them grow to full size in. I think part of the reason is that they (especially the “normal” body shaped) need the swimming space, but also goldfish produce a lot of waste and the maintenance burden in smaller tanks is too high for the average fish keeper."
For common goldfish, yes. They're a normal shaped fish that is fairly active. I've been referring to "fancy" goldfish (ryukin, oranda, ranchu, moors, butterflies, etc) as they're eternally dopey fish that aren't really active lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back