Fish for 90 gallon reef tank?

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new 90 gallon reef tank with a 30 gallon sump (protein skimmer, carbon and gfo reactors, refugium with chaetomorpha). Mixed reef, thinking mostly sps and lps and not sure what kind of reef safe fish to put in it. Here's what I m thinking so far:

- Kole yellow eye tang
- Bicolor blenny
- Flame angel
- One spot foxface
- Orange Stripe prawn Goby paired with a Pistol shrimp
- My current occelaris clown

I will be quarantining any fish I get for 4-6 weeks in a 20 gallon tank with prazipro and such and adding new fish to the main display every month or so to let beneficial bacteria to grow. I'm open to any suggestions or problems with my list above. I've only been in this hobby for about a year so I'm still a newbie...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list looks OK, but the tank may be a bit small long term for a foxface and a Kole tang. Melanarus wrasse would be a neat addition, and add some green and pink to the tank :)

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 6 line is always a great thing to have around if you have the space... theyll keep up on pests that sneak in on frag plugs as eggs or that make it through dip

ok and I just noticed your name.... uhhmmm what the 0_o

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coral Hygiene

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list looks OK, but the tank may be a bit small long term for a foxface and a Kole tang. Melanarus wrasse would be a neat addition, and add some green and pink to the tank :)

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about getting a wrasse but I heard they get very aggressive with tank mates... i put the foxface and kole tang on the list since live aquaria suggests a 70+ gallon aquarium, thought they would be good at eating all the nuisance algae

OP
OP
Coral Hygiene

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 6 line is always a great thing to have around if you have the space... theyll keep up on pests that sneak in on frag plugs as eggs or that make it through dip

ok and I just noticed your name.... uhhmmm what the 0_o

Never knew that, and they look pretty cool too. And i just joined REEF2REEF so i couldnt think if a name...XD

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back