Fish ID- “rescue fish”

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I local store was breaking down their tank and gave me their fish. I was able to ID everything else except for this one. I just wanted to make sure it won’t be very aggressive because I noticed after a day that my Tomini tang was nipped and my 1” clowns were acting defensive. The others added at the same time were a pink skunk, and 4 fully grown cardinals. Only mentioning this because if the one I can’t ID isn’t the one nipping, I’m Curious what could have nipped.

050C0965-D1B9-4B07-BDDF-7FAC1444A031.jpeg

FDDEA8E5-35F6-4941-A414-E7A591E73437.jpeg

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon Dottyback. Aggressive;) Pink Skunks are pretty aggressive as well.
I thought it could be a dottyback, but wasn’t sure what species. Are they aggressive enough that I should remove them or are they only agressive to those of their own species (both the skunk and the dottyback)?

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudochromis aldabraensis:

Semi aggressive by DB standards from my experience. My current Neon is pretty well behaved even with his Fridmani friends

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudochromis aldabraensis:

Semi aggressive by DB standards from my experience. My current Neon is pretty well behaved even with his Fridmani friends
Do you think the DB will show aggression towards the clowns since they are smaller than the DB? If so I have a predator tank I can take him to. I’m really surprised the tang got nipped because usually he is the top dog.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the Dottyback and Skunk can be a problem with anything other than aggressive tank mates. There are always exceptions but not the rule IME.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the Dottyback and Skunk can be a problem with anything other than aggressive tank mates. There are always exceptions but not the rule IME.
In that case I will keep a very close eye on it and possibly take them to the predator tank if they get too agressive. Thank you very much.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top pic looks more like ORA's black neon but the bottom pic like a normal Arabian dotty.

images

If it's the ora fish then they are a hybrid of Arabian X springers which makes them slightly better tempered.

I've bred Arabians and would only consider them in a slightly more aggressive type tank. They arent really a mild community suited species.

You also mention a skunk clown and your 1" clowns. If they are different species it's not wise to mix them as you will likely see at least one killed off depending on what they are.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back