Fish ID Please

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help identify this fish...I was told it's a goby but the shop owner doesn't know what kind...I was sold a goby one time that turned out to be a Fang Blenny which was ok but I like to know what the fish is before buying...any help is appreciated Screenshot_2022-05-19-12-07-38-408_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help identify this fish...I was told it's a goby but the shop owner doesn't know what kind...I was sold a goby one time that turned out to be a Fang Blenny which was ok but I like to know what the fish is before buying...any help is appreciated Screenshot_2022-05-19-12-07-38-408_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
Hoplolatilus marcosi, these MUST have a lid or else they will jump and if they jump too often it can damage them and kill them.

Want any additional info then just PM me, I have kept this species and several other similar species in the past.
Similar species to H. marcosi include;
Hoplolatilus luteus
Hoplolatilus starcki
Hoplolatilus purpureus
Hoplolatilus formanoiri

Marcosi is a great beginner species of tilefish however a peaceful introduction is a must. No tilefish can stand too much aggression, some are worse than others with aggression.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skunk Tilefish
(HOPLOLATILUS MARCOSI)
They’re also sold as the skunk tile goby over in the UK. Over here in the UK all tilefish are sold with the name of “Tile Goby” so if the OP is from the UK I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to tell them it was a goby.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
They’re also sold as the skunk tile goby over in the UK. Over here in the UK all tilefish are sold with the name of “Tile Goby” so if the OP is from the UK I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to tell them it was a goby.
I'm in Bangkok so different names are used all the time...as a type of tilefish are they reef safe?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back