Fish in transport ALL DAY! Do they have a chance?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had fish shipped out yesterday and there was a plane delay so the shipment didn't get on the Express truck and went on a regular truck. UPS hub spoke with the driver and he said I would get them between 7-8 tonight.

What do you think the chances are that they will make it?

32 Fish......

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good. I have had one of my deliveries delayed for a day, and they were fine.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good thing the weather is not too hot or cold here today.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that depends entirely on what kind of fish. I once bought a fish from reefcorner and it came with water temp well at the lower 60s, and the tang pulled through. Not sure if that would still be the case if it's a more sensitive specie

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember they will have some serious ammonia build up. You will need to minimize the air exchange before you 1) get them out of the shipping water or 2) add Prime or other ammonia neutralizer to the water.

Move quickly once you cut open a bag to make that happen!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph will likely be low as well. Need to aerate slowly, but u probably already knew that.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just remember they will have some serious ammonia build up. You will need to minimize the air exchange before you 1) get them out of the shipping water or 2) add Prime or other ammonia neutralizer to the water.

Move quickly once you cut open a bag to make that happen!

So you think I should add some prime to the bag once I open or to the acclimation bucket? I plan on floatin them and then moving them to about 8 buckets for acclimation.

jedimaster1138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything is possible. I once had fish survive a WEEKEND in a shipping depot due to some such insanity. You are in luck that it is not hot, but cold out. That's better for their long term prospects...

Acclimate them to temperature gently.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think I should add some prime to the bag once I open or to the acclimation bucket? I plan on floatin them and then moving them to about 8 buckets for acclimation.
As long as you get them from the bag to the bucket quickly it shouldn't matter. Otherwise I would add the Prime directly to the bag as soon as you cut it open.

Going to explain the reason in a post in a minute just so people who see this understand.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is impacted by 2 major factors in sea water. Alkalinity and CO2 content. When a fish is bagged and shipped the alkalinity doesn't change but the fish does consume O2 and replace it with CO2. This causes the water to become more acidic which means pH goes down.

The fish is also resperating ammonia during transit and may have food/waste that is also breaking down into ammonia. Fortunately, at lower pH's, ammonia takes a less toxic form, NH4. Once the bag is opened and you get air exchange, the CO2 content goes down and pH goes up. This causes the ammonia to shift to a more toxic form, NH3 - H.

This is why it is important to add a product like Prime to neutralize the ammonia before significant air exchange occurs for a fish that has been in shipping for a longer period of time.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as you get them from the bag to the bucket quickly it shouldn't matter. Otherwise I would add the Prime directly to the bag as soon as you cut it open.

Going to explain the reason in a post in a minute just so people who see this understand.

How much prime to you suggest per gallon?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry so much about ph. Getting them out of the ammonia-rich water is far more important than ph acclimation.

Alternatively, if you have access to aCO2 canister and ph moniter you couls use all new reef water in the buckets and use the CO2 from the canister to drop the ph to around 6.3-6.5 and acclimate them that way.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much prime to you suggest per gallon?
Sorry, I don't use Prime but I would follow the directions. I believe it is hard to overdose with Prime (within reason).

I don't drip acclimate so it isn't an issue for me.

I call the vendor I am getting a fish from and temperature/salinity match my QT to their system. That way I can temp float, cut open the bag, dump the shipping water into a waste container through a strainer and add the fish directly to my QT. I typically have under a minute from open bag to fish in QT.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if the fish came from a medicated system care needs to be exercised using ammonia neutralizers due to possible toxic reactions.
Good call on this. If your supplier uses copper in their water you cannot add Prime. :(

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we all have done this but as a reminder, unless fish come in the same bag, they shouldn't be acclimated in the same bucket because mixing the individual bags in the bucket, with different amounts of ammonia and pH levels could be very stressful. Probably won't matter much at this poini, they just need to get into clean water.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been importing may times for LFS from Indonesia and Sri Lanka , if they are packed correctly they can survive for more than 24 hours , I never use prime you don't know what exactly in the shipping water, I slowly acclimate the fish after floating them for few minutes and then transport them for packets and drip acclimate them. I Usually check for salinity in shipping Bags to see if a slow long acclimation is needed, or a quick 15 -30 minutes acclimation if the parameters are not that far.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know we all have done this but as a reminder, unless fish come in the same bag, they shouldn't be acclimated in the same bucket because mixing the individual bags in the bucket, with different amounts of ammonia and pH levels could be very stressful. Probably won't matter much at this poini, they just need to get into clean water.

I usually wouldn't do that but a store ordered these for me and had them shipped to me directly so there was no extra shipping time to the store and then to me. They said this is how they acclimate the fish. Also the water coming in is 1.017 so I can't just add them to the tank water. Gonna have to drop acclimate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back