Hi Guys,
i am new to the marine tank world. I have had my tank for about 2.5 months. i started with fish in cycle with 2 clown fish.
within the first 10 days the smaller clown fish died. i then decided to not add any more until my tank cycled. once my tank cycled...i decided to buy a another clown fish and a fire shrimp....after acclimation and putting them both in my tank along with my 1 previous clown that was in my tank....30 mins later my shrimp died and my new clown died 8 days later....i still have 1 of my original clown left.
my ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is around 2 to 5...my temp is 25 degrees celcius....my salinity is 1.025....its a fish only tank....but i don't understand what is happening why all my fish are dying apart from that 1 fish from the start.
any help would be appreciated.
for context i have a redsea max e 170
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
This isn’t a copper issue, or any heavy metal. If I understand correctly, you still have at least a shrimp and another clown left alive? If so, copper would have killed that shrimp.
Skip ICP, it isn’t going to tell you anything meaningful.
I suspect you got some poor quality fish.
What I would do is go into a holding pattern - keep the tank running as it is and watch the remaining clown closely. This is just in case the previous fish died from something contagious. Watch the fish for lack of appetite. White spots or rapid breathing.
Then, after a month to 45 days, you’ll know things have settled down. I’d then suggest that you buy pre quarantined fish going forward
