Fish Noises? [emoji38]

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning my little porcupine puffer’s tank today and I noticed he was making strange noises... he is a baby and he’s not quite used to that yet but he was almost, grunting? I’m not sure how to describe it.... kinda weirded me out lol but has this happened to anyone else and should I be concerned???

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some make noises that sound a bit like a frog or chomping clicks. Do either of these describe the noise you heard?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was cleaning my little porcupine puffer’s tank today and I noticed he was making strange noises... he is a baby and he’s not quite used to that yet but he was almost, grunting? I’m not sure how to describe it.... kinda weirded me out lol but has this happened to anyone else and should I be concerned???

Puffers do make noises. Based on what you are describing it is likely a distress sound. The fish will likely become more use to your cleaning over time and in the mean time you may want to be even more conscientious of the fish when cleaning.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all... I appreciate the feedback. I’ve never heard a fish make noises before and I didn’t want him to be in pain or anything like that... but it’s a relief that he was only a little scared because of the cleaning. Next time, I’ll try to be more careful of him when I clean his tank :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. The closest I get to a fish making noises is when my leopard wrasse starts nipping at the surface during feeding time (trying to get extra bits of food that are floating at the top. I keep hearing these repeated little splash sounds when it does it.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting. The closest I get to a fish making noises is when my leopard wrasse starts nipping at the surface during feeding time (trying to get extra bits of food that are floating at the top. I keep hearing these repeated little splash sounds when it does it.

Fish also make noises with their swim bladders and their teeth - and puffers have some great teeth!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a whole world of sound out there.

Wikipedia rip:
The Sciaenidae are a family of fish commonly called drums or croakers in reference to the repetitive throbbing or drumming sounds they make.

Here the croaker here (click on their mp4 file):
https://ocr.org/sounds/atlantic-croaker/

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes! My puffer does that too only just today he started making those other noises...

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wikipedia rip:
The Sciaenidae are a family of fish commonly called drums or croakers in reference to the repetitive throbbing or drumming sounds they make.

Wow! That’s so cool! I guess fish making noises isn’t so strange after all lol

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grunt and clack. I have had several "talking" fish. A fat puffer and two triggers, and two ex wives. Or maybe it was two triggers, an ex puffer, and two fat...

Ahhhhhhahaha that’s hilarious... well I’m glad that you’ve had experience with talking fish... the ex wives do seem to talk a lot too [emoji23]

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wikipedia rip:

Well.... those are mammals :)

My copperband does make clicky noises when he is chomping on food.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Puffers rub their clamshell teeth which makes noises. Some chromis also make a clicking sound

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back