Fish Only: What is the best non-reef safe fish?

What is the best non-reef safe fish?

• Bicolor Angelfish

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • Double Saddle Butterflyfish

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Dog Face Pufferfish

Votes: 38 12.3%
  • Engineer Goby

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Huma Huma Triggerfish

Votes: 87 28.2%
  • Lionfish

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • Moray Eel

Votes: 41 13.3%
  • Seahorse

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 45 14.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish Only: What is the best non-reef safe fish?

So you’re thinking about starting a fish-only tank and you want to try a non-reef safe fish? Which one is at the top of your list? Is there a fish that you have always wanted, but have avoided it because it wasn’t reef safe? Maybe it's because the fish isn't safe to your reef or your reef isn't safe for the fish. Is there a fish that you would develop your fish stocking list around if you were to have a fish-only tank? With so much attention on corals in the saltwater hobby, let take a minute to discuss non-reef safe fish.

HumaHuma.jpeg

This is a royalty-free image from Pixabay

Did you know that Reef2Reef has a section on the forum completely focused on fish-only tanks? If you have a fish-only tank or are thinking about starting one, please take a look at the fish-only area. Oh, and fish-only tanks don’t have to only be for non-reef safe fish!

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love the triggerfish, it has been making me reconsider my large build and make it fowlr and just keep corals in my flex

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jewel of my FOWLR is a Niger Trigger. Once I get past the waste he lays to the CUC he's a beautiful fish with a ton of personality.
Benefits of having a FOWLR: eels, and butterflies, and engineer gobies oh my!
IMG_5572.jpeg
IMG_2584.jpeg

IMG_2510.jpeg
Love the Engineer Goby. I have a couple right now, one in a FOWLR and one in a mixed reef. They are just cool looking fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any full-size angel would get my vote. Even your run of the mill Koran is a showstopper as an adult, as far as I'm concerned.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isnt going to be a popular take for sure, but I did vote Humu, as I do have one in my Fowlr tank. It is a great fish, lots of personality and super easy to care for. I would also like to add groupers to this, they are super intelligent, are technically reef safe, they just eat alot. I would love to one day make a tank with a grouper and some corals. I have found they dont bother snails basically at all, and I would assume the same for hermits. Groupers are awesome personality wise and you dont have to worry about being picky eaters LOL.

And you can have an absolute show stopper of a grouper color wise, from the cherry grouper, to the panther or v tail, they are gorgeous fish.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of angelfish. If it were at all remotely responsible of me, I'd put a queen angelfish in my tank. Given that it's a 65 gallon reef, I doubt that that'll happen any time soon.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH MY GAWD!! There are too many to pick. I first thought, easy, Dog Face Puffer. But what about a MORAY!!!??? What is better than a MOORRRAAAYYY!!!??? An Engineer Goby OFC!!!

I want a grouper

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Dragon Wrasse in a mixed reef for 3 years. Never again! :) I've thought about a live macro algae / Sea Horse tank, Would love to have a Dog Face puffer someday. Some of the Angels are amazing that are not reef safe. So many to choose from and all in a fish ownly. :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back