Fish or Inverts That You Would Never Have Again?

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you've ever had a particular species of fish or invert in your reef, that you would NEVER have again. (reef pests obviously don't count here - none of us want those)

What species of fish or invert?
Why would you not have another one?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Angel!!!!!!!!!! I knew there was a risk going into my reef tank but had seen dozens in person and have friends with no issues............. I got the 1 that loved LPS, specially expensive rainbow acans. He whipped out my LPS. I recently moved so he was pulled from tank and will never try any angel or (WITH RISK) fish again.

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shortspine urchin. Ate the silicone out of the corners of the tank (trying to get to algae I assume).

At least it was a cheap 55g, but I’ll never get another one, especially with a rimless tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Angel!!!!!!!!!! I knew there was a risk going into my reef tank but had seen dozens in person and have friends with no issues............. I got the 1 that loved LPS, specially expensive rainbow acans. He whipped out my LPS. I recently moved so he was pulled from tank and will never try any angel or (WITH RISK) fish again.

Definitely on my list to never have again for a combo of aggression and coral nipping. My Coral Beauty has been much better behaved than my Flame Angel was.

My list:

Flame Angel (aggressive butthead and coral nipper)
Solar Fairy Wrasse (aggressive butthead)
Firefish/Dartfish (way too much time hiding)
Clownfish (aggressive butthead)
Mandarinfish (too much hassle to keep up with it's dietary needs)
Yellow Tang (aggressive butthead)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feed your dwarfs angels 3 times a day and i've never had issues. they will a picked a little but never harmed anything.

It does depend on the individual fish, but I feed my Coral Beauty seaweed once a day, and frozen LRS Reef Frenzy twice a day and it has pretty much left my Euphyllia frags alone (those are the only corals I have). Oh and it also helps to have them in an established tank with plenty of algae to graze on.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol shrimp 3".
Not a Randalls (they are supposed to be wonderful), but never again my problem.

Had a tiger pistol, AKA Bob the Builder. Removed and re-homed.

Now have 2 candy cane pistols. Much better behaved.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow clown goby - voraciously chowed down on acro polyps

emerald crabs - manically pounced on LPS and NPS corals every time I attempted to feed them. Injured one of my dendros by digging into its mouth to consume the food that was inside.

OP
OP
Rcpilot

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emerald crabs - manically pounced on LPS and NPS corals every time I attempted to feed them. Injured one of my dendros by digging into its mouth to consume the food that was inside.

I forgot about this one!
I had one that was really cute when it was a baby. It grew up and started attacking .... everything. Fish, snails, shrimp... didn't matter. I watched it attack a nessarious snail on the glass. The snail reversed course and went for the safety of the 3 inch sandbed. The emerald dug the snail out and ate it.

This crab was always well fed. I really think it depends on the individual temperament. Mine was an opportunistic ambush predator.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish - I avoid most of the hyper- aggressive species like domino, three stripe or Sohal; or those that require herculean efforts to feed, and they still mostly starve (mandarins, Tuka anthais). Inverts - mainly the ones that will poison the tank (sea apples) or those that simply starve (flame scallop, most stars).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back