Fish Petting: Good for you but what about your fish?

Do you think "petting your fish" is a good or bad idea?

• Good idea

Votes: 109 18.9%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 234 40.6%
  • Not sure but in for the comments...

Votes: 234 40.6%

• Total voters

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be bad, but I do it.

I would pet my fish except that I'm a Baptist so those things are probably frowned upon? :cool:

Actually, I try to keep my hands out of the tank. I do have a tang that bumps into the feeding cup and has almost knocked it out of my grip a few times. I think I could hand feed and probably pet her but I do worry about where my hands have been and I don't want to spawn a new flu virus.

My new fish generally get hand removed from the acclimation bag and carefully hand lifted into the tank where I slowly release them as I welcome them to our tank.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big vlamingi tang in Aquatic Technology in NE Ohio will stick its head out the water to be petted. The owner told me I could pet it but it was leery of me. I was surprised the fish recognized its owner. After standing there a little while, the fish burst its head up and let me rub its bristled snout.

Photosynthetic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely not a good idea for land mammals to rub on fish. Our skins contain all kinds of oils that couldn't possibly have a beneficial effect. Potentially no effect, but why risk it, other than anthropomorphizing being so much goddam fun.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have fish that let me touch them. However, “petting” your fish is actually detrimental to their health. By petting them, you are actually removing the outer mucous layer on their skin. This is important because the mucus does two major things. Firstly, it helps protect the fish from diseases. Secondly, it aids the fish in osmosis. Fish need to have certain amounts of water going in and out of their bodies. The mucus helps them regulate that. If you were to remove the mucus, too much osmosis would occur and the fish would essentially drown from having too much water in their body. Even though it may seem harmless, petting your fish is a bad idea. I understand that as hobbyists we should care for our animals but we also have a responsibility to provide the best care we can. Sadly, petting our fish just isn’t good for them :(

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate on petting and removing the slime coat.

The argument of something harmfull on ones hand, oil, dirt, grime, whatever is a valid point. But if your a reefer fish keeper, then you know that when your hands go into the tank contaminate prevention is of the utmost concern. If hands go in for whatever reason they shoud be as tank clean as possible.
Its not like most here will clean out the septic tank with our bare hands then go work on the car and wipe the hands off with a moldy towel and WD-40 to remove the grease then go pet the fish.

In nature and my tank the fish are constantly rubbing the rocks so on.
This natural movement does remove the slime coat in spots and so forth.
A healthy fish will replenish these voids and is a normal way of life.

Now if the fish has a wound, from a run in with a rock and of a tank mate, then I agree this would be an unhealthy thing for the fish.

The Tang in the video looks to be in great condition, healthy clear brighf eyes so I dont feel any harm is being done.

But this is one guys opinion.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 8 tangs in my tank and all of them love to rush my hand while feeding including my fox face (jason) he will eat all the food in my hand. Then lay down in my palm he has only stabbed me once on accident.

How did that feel? Is it as bad as I’ve heard? Haha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As with motortrendz, My 14" Vlamingi tang comes to my hand and begs. My 7" Vlamingi just runs off when it sees my hand, , , LOL
I don't make a point of it as I do not want to disturb their PROTECTIVE slime coat.

reefgoddess1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only concern I have is the bacteria on our hands can be harmful to the fish, but if they are clean and you aren't harassing the fish, why not? My problem is when the rabbit fish gets a little too excited and likes to pop his dorsal.

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only concern I have is the bacteria on our hands can be harmful to the fish, but if they are clean and you aren't harassing the fish, why not? My problem is when the rabbit fish gets a little too excited and likes to pop his dorsal.
When I stick my hand in the tank he drops the spines before he comes up to me. He does chase off my clown that likes to bite me hahaha.

Someone asked me how do I feed my fish.

Watch "February 20, 2020" on YouTube

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def enjoy it. Look at that smile
d55200d932c24666b2bf066b0560eae6.gif

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp is always looking for me, whenever I’m near the tank he comes straight over and as soon as my hand in there he’s on it, climbing up my arm, bit of a pain when I’m sticking frags in but he’s funny, hand fed.
at the opposite end of the spectrum is my clown tang, I’ve only got to look at him and his head goes black and looks like he wants to kill me. He is a psycho and is now in a mental asylum.

Gon2srf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish love my presence in the tank. My kole tang cleans me all the time and many of the fish hover right around my hand and let me pet them. If I don’t, they pet themselves by rubbing against my arm. I have never attempted to try to pet one. So it tells me that they like it and hasn’t hurt them for the years I gave had all these fish. But to each their own!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back