Fish Prices Lately

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just in the US, it's in Canada, too.

The selection of fish in Canada in general is really poor, but for example I'm picking up a yasha goby + pistol shrimp pair today, $150 for the yasha and $40 for the candy pistol. Coral beauties are $100, yellow tangs are $250 (but I know they're up everywhere), regular ocellaris clowns are $40-$50.
That's insane compared to where I am in Europe. I got my Yasha for $50, and the pistol for $25. dang!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is "IF/WHEN" prices subside in the energy arena, will the prices of other goods also come back down? Or will they just figure we are used to paying for it already?
haha

corey

Welltankgoodness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a small LFS- wholesale cost has drastically increased, shipping is outrageous (flights are averaging $150-$200 per box) the FEDEX fails to not cook them or shake them- and when I get “arrives alive- that night died” I’m eating it until taxes.
My margins have actually shrunk as my prices increase- talk to the LFS about preorder. Reach out.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few weeks ago I bought a Magnificent Foxface for 150$ from my reasonably priced store, lets call this store One. Like many foxes it was an absolute coward and it was so shy and scared of me and the other tank inhabitants I was thinking it might be best for everyone if it gets a new home. So while visiting a store in the other direction of me which has ridiculous prices, Two, I asked if they'd help me rehome it. They told me they would and that their policy was to but for 1/3 of their sell price.

Now here's the interesting part, Two's price for a medium sized Magnificent is 480$... So out of curiosity I looked at some other prices. One's price for a small zebra eel about 100$; Two's 430$. Same story with other higher end fish like Bellus' and I'm sure many others.

Now these stores are in different directions but easily a 40 minute drive.I'm not greedy enough to take advantage of it but It certainly makes you wonder...

PS: Foxface is now much braver, still a coward though.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This blew my mind when i saw it.

$13 cerith and astraea
$20 trochus
$25 mexican turbo

edit: nevermind, it’s packs of 5, not each

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This blew my mind when i saw it.

$13 cerith and astraea
$20 trochus
$25 mexican turbo
Packs of 5 I believe. Still massively overpriced though.

smcdonald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my Salt Water Beta for $89 before Covid hit - fall of 2019. That same fish is now $200 and has been on permanent back order on most websites. Not enough shipping containers anymore, not enough flights, shipping prices have doubled. I'm a health care professional that works in the world of organ and tissue donation. We've had human tissue recovered for transplant that has been lost by airlines, a human kidney was lost by a major air carrier and then by the time it was finally found, the organ could no longer be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The real question is "IF/WHEN" prices subside in the energy arena, will the prices of other goods also come back down? Or will they just figure we are used to paying for it already?
haha

corey
Reading your post made me think of digital media. . .

I know this is super not related but why don't I get a discount for buying digital media! Company no longer have to put the media onto something physical, they no longer have to put it in a pretty package, and they no longer have to ship it to the store, and in some cases (video games) they don't have to give the retailer a cut. . . .

cost reduction for the seller does not equal cost reduction for the buyer. . .

Basically I am saying. . . once it's up it will stay that way until people stop paying. . .

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh we all know the answer to it! No way they come back down. Call it greed. Cost of doing business. Call it whatever you want, but you won’t call it cheaper….

corey

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back