Fish Prices Lately

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This to a point... I buy direct from a importer, I'm usually only charged 15-20% over invoice, so I am aware how much it cost for trans pacific. Some livestock is a deal and some stuff there isn't a lot of profit.
A lot of times it depends on the fish because the importers know the rarity and demand but a lot of the common fish I also found to end up listed very steeply...sometimes to offer a discount for multiples sales, sometimes because that's what they knew someone would eventually pay and sadly if the fish didn't make it that long to be sold, they knew the loss was more than acceptable with what it cost them

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive breeding will only help here; if a company can get their fish from a breeder stateside that eliminates the importation fees/permits/shipping costs

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive breeding will only help here; if a company can get their fish from a breeder stateside that eliminates the importation fees/permits/shipping costs
That sounds great in theory but first you need to find a captive breeder willing to sell their fish for a reasonable price

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great in theory but first you need to find a captive breeder willing to sell their fish for a reasonable price
Well sure. But that cuts some of the cost add-ons from unavoidable to dealer discretion, which is a different thing

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sure. But that cuts some of the cost add-ons from unavoidable to dealer discretion, which is a different thing
I agree it would be a great thing to have a captive breeding operation in a central or nearby location...I just can't get the prices most captive breeders charge out of my head

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it would be a great thing to have a captive breeding operation in a central or nearby location...I just can't get the prices most captive breeders charge out of my head
This. I get the price for captive bred fish as there is a high overhead due to facilities, manpower, etc... But there isn't a lot of incentive to go with captive bred when the wild caught pricing is still cheaper after all the markup cost from catch to getting to your local LFS.

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I get the price for captive bred fish as there is a high overhead due to facilities, manpower, etc... But there isn't a lot of incentive to go with captive bred when the wild caught pricing is still cheaper after all the markup coat from catch to getting to your local LFS.
Exactly...we all know a lot goes into an operation such as this that raises the prices but if captive breeding becomes too much competition, those LFS will come down just enough on the wild caught fish to get the customer to go for them

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and only know the high prices. Can I ask how your LFS's prices compare to LiveAqauaria and other online stores prices?

I have an LFS that sells healthy fish at far lower price. (just bought a beautiful female bellus angelfish for 100$ for example.) And I don't know how online stores can compete with that price difference.
753AE5A4-1479-4796-B55D-C7286AB77983.png

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and only know the high prices. Can I ask how your LFS's prices compare to LiveAqauaria and other online stores prices?

I have an LFS that sells healthy fish at far lower price. (just bought a beautiful female bellus angelfish for 100$ for example.) And I don't know how online stores can compete with that price difference.
753AE5A4-1479-4796-B55D-C7286AB77983.png
The 100 bucks for the bellus isn't out of line. The 379 from LA and its prolly dropped shipped from quality marine, is insaneo. Live Aquaria caters to those that don't have a local LFS accessible. Which after being a more active participant on this forum, that apparently is a fairly high number.

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a lot of pretty cheaper corals/fishes. Thats what im sticking with. no need to break the bank just because they are rare or mainstream fish.

ge2655

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish prices are beginning to fall slightly now (South Florida). My understanding is because shipping from California has resumed / increased. Also seeing more variety than in prior months.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a lot of pretty cheaper corals/fishes. Thats what im sticking with. no need to break the bank just because they are rare or mainstream fish.
Well that's great that you're content with the less expensive fish out there and I agree some of them are beauties! But everyone has their own idea of what they want to make their little piece of the ocean

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My higher end lfs just posted yesterday on IG how a flat rate box shipped in 2019 was $35 and now it's $70-$90 minimum. Well. Guess who gets to pay all that premium. Us! U and me! What a joke. Capitalism America. Ty.
Not happy with the price gouging and raising prices in EVERYTHING rn either.
D

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I feel like this whole hobby has massively inflated prices in general. Going through a fish store that sells both salt and fresh water products its clear that the freshwater side is far cheaper and I doubt that has much to do with manufacturing/material differences. Lights, skimmers, tanks, etc I feel like they're all marked up massively and that there isn't the competition to stop them. I don't know what rare earth elements are hiding in my little skimmer to make it worth 350$.

The 100 bucks for the bellus isn't out of line. The 379 from LA and its prolly dropped shipped from quality marine, is insaneo. Live Aquaria caters to those that don't have a local LFS accessible. Which after being a more active participant on this forum, that apparently is a fairly high number.
Thanks just wondering as that's where I did all my research and then to find much cheaper fish at a store.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me fishes are to graze algae, eat pests, or clean sandbed and maintain the bio food chain…I look for couple of wrasses, a few zebrasomas and and 1 sand cleaning Goby and Its a solid reef ecosystem. I look for the cheapest ones available. As long as people will pay for fancy fishes these crazy prices, the price will keep going up. Eventually, more fish vendors will come in to balance the price. That’s how free market work. I do know that a lot of high end vendors don’t want to be in fish business (think wwc, tsa…). There is a reason for it. Coral business is way more profitable for them.

Sam

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back