Fish Prices Lately

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just me, but have you noticed a recent huge increase in the price of marine fish recently?
$90 for a foxface?
9-15 bucks for a damsel?
Zoster's butterflies are almost $100.
Heniochus for $79.
Flame angels are $80.
I went shopping yesterday at my local shop and one not so local, and these prices were common between the two stores. Anyone else notice this? Is this nationwide? What happened to the days when you could walk out of the store with 3 fish for less than a Franklin?

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just me, but have you noticed a recent huge increase in the price of marine fish recently?
$90 for a foxface?
9-15 bucks for a damsel?
Zoster's butterflies are almost $100.
Heniochus for $79.
Flame angels are $80.
I went shopping yesterday at my local shop and one not so local, and these prices were common between the two stores. Anyone else notice this? Is this nationwide? What happened to the days when you could walk out of the store with 3 fish for less than a Franklin?

I'd buy a flame angel for $80. They're all $130+ around me these days.

Prices will continue to rise on everything as long as our current leadership continues doing what they're doing.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just in the US, it's in Canada, too.

The selection of fish in Canada in general is really poor, but for example I'm picking up a yasha goby + pistol shrimp pair today, $150 for the yasha and $40 for the candy pistol. Coral beauties are $100, yellow tangs are $250 (but I know they're up everywhere), regular ocellaris clowns are $40-$50.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came into this hobby just before the prices started really climbing (fall of 2020), so I've certainly noticed the same.

It seems pretty obvious to me why prices are up with current inflation rates and fall-out effects of a global pandemic. Saltwater fish are sure to be impacted by higher shipping prices, since they get transported so far typically.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the the sign of the times. I don’t mind paying more for a beautiful fish in good health. It’s the insane prices of coral frags that get me. I refuse to pay the going price on 1/2 inch frag or a torch single head.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the the sign of the times. I don’t mind paying more for a beautiful fish in good health. It’s the insane prices of coral frags that get me. I refuse to pay the going price on 1/2 inch frag or a torch single head.
Especially considering most corals are aquacultured now. I understand the prices of, say, scolymia, because I know for the most part they still have to be taken off the reef. But something like a zoa shouldn't have the "designer" price tag on it, especially with how fast the majority of them grow

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just in the US, it's in Canada, too.

The selection of fish in Canada in general is really poor, but for example I'm picking up a yasha goby + pistol shrimp pair today, $150 for the yasha and $40 for the candy pistol. Coral beauties are $100, yellow tangs are $250 (but I know they're up everywhere), regular ocellaris clowns are $40-$50.
150 cad for a yasha goby doesn't sound bad. They're always expensive, that's about what they are here.

Fish are shipped in water. Water weighs a lot. Fuel costs a lot. And the cost of fuel has been rising because of a lot of factors, some of which we have less ability to change currently than we think we do.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, prices for most fish just keep rising. I predict that they will peak within the next few years, as eventually they will get too cost prohibitive for most people to buy them. The good news is that I've noticed the prices of tangs plummeting. 150$ yellows, 450$ gems, and 50$ hippos. I have no clue why this is. Maybe there are more available for collection? A year ago, you could add 100$ to those prices, and they would have been average.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, prices for most fish just keep rising. I predict that they will peak within the next few years, as eventually they will get too cost prohibitive for most people to buy them. The good news is that I've noticed the prices of tangs plummeting. 150$ yellows, 450$ gems, and 50$ hippos. I have no clue why this is. Maybe there are more available for collection? A year ago, you could add 100$ to those prices, and they would have been average.

Well, 4 years ago small yellows were $30-40 so I wouldn't call it plummeting just yet.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I wish it was all due to shipping but I used to work at a LFS and they're just not hurting the way the consumers are...I can say this because I've seen invoices stating what the shop paid for the fish. It's all business but I think the shops could help out the customers a little more than they do...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that regard I think folks are realizing they cant sell the livestock. I saw a purple tang sit at a LFS for over 6 months because it was priced at 250$. Owner dropped it to $199 and it was gone within 24 hours.

I believe peak reefing is here, lol. Look at the glut of tanks coming up for sale since covid is waning. Problem is that those used tanks are still being paid for and the owners think they should recoup every dime.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I wish it was all due to shipping but I used to work at a LFS and they're just not hurting the way the consumers are...I can say this because I've seen invoices stating what the shop paid for the fish. It's all business but I think the shops could help out the customers a little more than they do...
This to a point... I buy direct from a importer, I'm usually only charged 15-20% over invoice, so I am aware how much it cost for trans pacific. Some livestock is a deal and some stuff there isn't a lot of profit.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back