Fish quarantine system detail

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im from mumbai (bombay), India. During summers, our room temp reaches to 32c, outside temp i guess 40c+. Many reefers here dont keep chillers, and have successfully grown lps and softies at 30c+. Cant say about sps, as they are very exp and no1 really risks them without a chiller. However, chillers are too kept between 27c and 29c. Since electricity is very expensive here, 200-300$ monthly. I too had a chiller in my old tank, this time i dont. Will be getting one though for my new build.

Wow, most people here in America freak when the temp exceeds 29C (84F) inside their tank. :eek: Interesting to know you are able to successfully grow softies & LPS at higher temps. However, those higher temps also means less available oxygen in the water. Which might become an issue when dosing meds in your QT, since most of those also deplete oxygen. :(

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, most people here in America freak when the temp exceeds 29C (84F) inside their tank. :eek: Interesting to know you are able to successfully grow softies & LPS at higher temps. However, those higher temps also means less available oxygen in the water. Which might become an issue when dosing meds in your QT, since most of those also deplete oxygen. :(
I personally keep a seperate pump only for surface agitation. Many others too.. a few hobbyist here have made their own chiller using a used ac compressor and a titanium coil.. since we onky get hailea and boyu chillers here which have no guarantee or warantee. i had hailea 130a tht got spoilt after 2yrs and was not repairable. Had to trash it. But for my big tank, im too plannin on a diy compreasor titanium type. Lets see.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi and metro only tablets available...[emoji17] prazi 600mg and metro 200mg.. can i mix them in fw and then divide the dose? Can it be stored in liquid form? I guess prazi is sold in liquid form, so i guess it can. Dono about metro.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi and metro only tablets available...[emoji17] prazi 600mg and metro 200mg.. can i mix them in fw and then divide the dose? Can it be stored in liquid form? I guess prazi is sold in liquid form, so i guess it can. Dono about metro.

Dosage is 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per 10 gallons of water. Dose twice (spaced 48 hrs apart), wait 1 week and do two more doses (again, spaced 48 hrs apart).

The metro tabs should dissolve easily (I would use SW); however praziquantel is not easily water soluble so you might need to add a solubilizing agent (a little vodka should do it ;)).

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosage is 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per 10 gallons of water. Dose twice (spaced 48 hrs apart), wait 1 week and do two more doses (again, spaced 48 hrs apart).

The metro tabs should dissolve easily (I would use SW); however praziquantel is not easily water soluble so you might need to add a solubilizing agent (a little vodka should do it ;)).
I guess metro wont be a prob, but as prazi is sold in liquid form, can i convert it into liquid form and store it? Approx howmuch vodka? As it can cause bacteria bloom.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess metro wont be a prob, but as prazi is sold in liquid form, can i convert it into liquid form and store it? Approx howmuch vodka? As it can cause bacteria bloom.

I'll have to do some research on that and get back with you.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on dissolving?

I cannot find specific information, but everything I've read basically says use just, "a small amount of ethyl alcohol or even common vodka" to dissolve it. I would mix some prazi in water and then add 2-3 drops of vodka to see if that's enough. If you are still seeing some of the undissolved powder after a minute or two, keep adding a drop of vodka until it fully dissolves. Then you'll know the correct number of drops to add for X amount of prazi. Trial & error is how I figure out things all the time. ;)

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find specific information, but everything I've read basically says use just, "a small amount of ethyl alcohol or even common vodka" to dissolve it. I would mix some prazi in water and then add 2-3 drops of vodka to see if that's enough. If you are still seeing some of the undissolved powder after a minute or two, keep adding a drop of vodka until it fully dissolves. Then you'll know the correct number of drops to add for X amount of prazi. Trial & error is how I figure out things all the time. ;)
Thanks.. can i use tablets of prazi, metro and CP? Would that be fine? Coz powders are costing a bomb, as minimum buy is 1kg and i might need jus a few grams.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.. can i use tablets of prazi, metro and CP? Would that be fine? Coz powders are costing a bomb, as minimum buy is 1kg and i might need jus a few grams.

Yes, but mixing those 3 meds PLUS ethyl alcohol/vodka means risking the possibility of a bacterial bloom.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but mixing those 3 meds PLUS ethyl alcohol/vodka means risking the possibility of a bacterial bloom.
Not all 3, i ment that cp at the begining and after that metro with prazi. i guess ill first dissolve prazi in a cup, then add to tank with metro. Would vodka and metro cause issue? im gona experiment dissolving prazi, metro and cp tomorow or day after.. i have ethanol i guess, so wont use vodka.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is metro different then prazi? What if only metro is dosed?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is metro different then prazi? What if only metro is dosed?

Prazi is mostly useful to treat external worms such as flukes & turbellarians (black ich). Only sometimes will it work on internal parasites aka intestinal worms. And that's where metro comes in, although for internal parasites it's best to deliver the medication via food so it passes directly through the fish's gut. However, when metro is dosed in water it has other uses - can be used to treat Brooklynella, Uronema marinum and even some anaerobic bacterial fish diseases. Making metronidazole probably one of the most diverse medications in the fishy medicine cabinet. ;)

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howlong should i place them in my sump for the bacteria to grow in it, then use it for qt. These are my eheim hob sponges

1ab3e3f9ac75fd6f6472b80dc5a02ab1.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howlong should i place them in my sump for the bacteria to grow in it, then use it for qt. These are my eheim hob sponges

1 month minimum; I've tried seeding for shorter durations but the bacteria doesn't seem to fully colonize unless it's one month.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we add some cheato in qt? Jus for some extra no3 issue if any? Would medication kill cheato? Will be adding in an hob isolation box..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we add some cheato in qt? Jus for some extra no3 issue if any? Would medication kill cheato? Will be adding in an hob isolation box..

CP is a strong algaecide, so it would kill any macro.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back