Fish quarantine system detail

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys recently i learnt me lesson the hard way like the majority and lost my fishes due to velvet. After watching loads of videos and reading loads of blogs, here is what im plannin to do.

Firstly, instead of jus 1 qt tank, im plannin to setup a mini hospital kinda setup, total 5 tanks.

1) main qt tank for fishes only, 30x12x12"
This will have big and small pvc joints, a biggest eheim hob filter, air stone/airpump and a small top filter for placing carbon and a cheap lighting. Will keep an acrylic sheet to as lid or net. The water used in qt will be old tank water for better cycling. The sponges in the hob will be from the sump in dt. And will also place biomedia with it. An ammonia checker too made by seachem.

2) qt tank for inverts and corals, 12x12x12" this will have some live rocks on 1 side but no sand and a small cheap wm or a small cheap hob or both, a diy led lighting and a lid.

3) this will be a 12x12x12" mainly for 1 to 2 hrs medicine dips.

4) this will be a 12x12x7" for freshwater dips only

5) this will be 12x11x12" spare tank if i wana treat 2 fishes at 1 time or qt a small fish, etc.

Well as im gona place them on a rack, top will be the inverts qt, below tht will be big fish qt and at the bittom will be the last 3 small tank for dips.

As for new fish arrival, here is my plan for 2mnths of qt each fish i get. I wont qt morethan 2 fish together ever for sure.

Day1) acclimate the fish to qt and dont feed for 24hrs with lights off. Just observe from far.

Day2) feed nls thera a pellets, on the lights jus to check.

Day3) feed nls pellets and frozen mysis with metronidazole

Day4) feed normal

Day5) add seachem paraguard for 25hrs

Day6) add paraguard again for 25hrs

Day7) add carbon in topfilter for 24hrs (howmuch shud i add to remove extra med left if any)

Day8) syphon and do 25% wc with dt tank water and add acriflavine powder 60mg per 20g for 25hrs

Day9) add acriflavine same dose or 30mg per 20g for 25hrs

Day 10) do 25% wc with dt tank water and add carbon for 48hrs

Day 11 to 13) jus feed nls pellets or frozen mysis with metronidazole

Day 14) add praziquintal 2.5mg per liter

Day 15 to 17) jus feed normal

Day 18) add prazi same dose

Day 19) add prazi same dose

Day 20 to 28) feed normal and observe

Day 29) do 25% wc with dt tank water and add carbon for 48hrs

Day 30) feed normal

Day 31) add chloroquine phosphate at 80mg per gallon and keep like that for 15days

Day 32 to 44) feed normal (can i add kanamycin and furan 2?)

Day 45) do a 25% wc and add carbon for 48hrs

Day 46) feed normal

Day 47) add cupramine 2ml for 20g and keep it like that for 7days check cu level

Day 48 to 53) feed normal

Day 54) do 50% wc with dt water and add carbon for 48hrs

Day 55) check cu level and replace or keep carbon if needed or remove it.

Day 56 to 60) observe and feed normal.

Day 61) move the fish to dt via acclimation.

The light will stay on for 30mints only for first week, then 1hr for 2 weeks, then 2hrs for 3 weeks, then 3hrs for 1 week, then 4hrs for 1 week and 6hrs for last week.

The qt for inverts n corals will be 1 mnth.

Guys please let me know if this is ok or no? Dont wana go wrong again. Dont want velvet or ick ever again in my new dt.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your going this far, have you considered ttm? Not sure how many meds this would eliminate. But you can ttm and Prazipro at the same time.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts and corals go 76 days.
Softies i dont mind, but sps in a lowtech qt might be harsh on them, as there wont be a chiller. I forgot to mention, but for sps and lps i was planning on iodine dips only with jus 48hrs of qt

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what about qt?
Quarantine and this are the same. You ttm upon arrival and move to a tank after 12 days or so to finish, no ich and nothing Prazipro treats for to worry about after. Just observe or treat for the rest.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the 2 videos from where i got some info

Please watch as they dose meds in qt regardless of any problems

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, sorry for your loss, that always sucks.

Looking at your plan That seems like a lot of meds... I agree with @Duke4Life, look in to TTM, prazipro and observe after.

Many people will medicate regardless, but I'm not sure why you need to do CP followed by copper.. Also that's the higher end of CP dosing and may not be necessary when used prophylacticly.

Metronidazole tastes bad, so make sure fish are eating well before trying to mix it in the food, this may need to be used in tank.

Something else to consider is not all fish handle these medications equally, wrasses are sensitive to CP. Think some angels are sensitive to copper, but I don't keep them so can't remember .. So treatment will need to be specific to the fish.

Also, things like velvet and ich have been shown to aerosolize so if you plan to use a rack everything should go in at once, otherwise tanks need to be 10ft or more away from each other. I would still keep my coral and inverts qt away from the fish qt, and use separate equipment for each like hoses, buckets, etc.

I keep my coral and inverts qt on the opposite side of a 17ft room from the fish qt, both are in a different room than the displays.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, sorry for your loss, that always sucks.

Looking at your plan That seems like a lot of meds... I agree with @Duke4Life, look in to TTM, prazipro and observe after.

Many people will medicate regardless, but I'm not sure why you need to do CP followed by copper.. Also that's the higher end of CP dosing and may not be necessary when used prophylacticly.

Metronidazole tastes bad, so make sure fish are eating well before trying to mix it in the food, this may need to be used in tank.

Something else to consider is not all fish handle these medications equally, wrasses are sensitive to CP. Think some angels are sensitive to copper, but I don't keep them so can't remember .. So treatment will need to be specific to the fish.

Also, things like velvet and ich have been shown to aerosolize so if you plan to use a rack everything should go in at once, otherwise tanks need to be 10ft or more away from each other. I would still keep my coral and inverts qt away from the fish qt, and use separate equipment for each like hoses, buckets, etc.

I keep my coral and inverts qt on the opposite side of a 17ft room from the fish qt, both are in a different room than the displays.
Thanks for the reply, yes i wont be doing the same for wrasses and angels, anyways i might not add them too.. i prefer tangs, gobies and clowns. Anyways thanks for letting me know. Well for inverts qt, ill have to think what shud i do. Living in a tight space. So what do u suggest regarding dosing of meds as a precaution and not cure during the qt process? Like when to add and what to add. Ill qt fishes for 2mnths n not less than that.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, yes i wont be doing the same for wrasses and angels, anyways i might not add them too.. i prefer tangs, gobies and clowns. Anyways thanks for letting me know. Well for inverts qt, ill have to think what shud i do. Living in a tight space. So what do u suggest regarding dosing of meds as a precaution and not cure during the qt process? Like when to add and what to add. Ill qt fishes for 2mnths n not less than that.
I would do TTM and prazipro, this takes about 12 days. If you see anything else pop up, like velvet, it's easy enough to stop TTM and switch to CP or Copper.

If all looks good after TTM, observe and fatten up fish for remaining qt period. If anything else shows itself, like stringy poop or skin lesions etc, treat accordingly.

Have you read Humblefish's quarantine thread? Ill add a link.

If you can't observe the fish for subtle signs of disease, everyday for at least 15-20 minutes, then prophylactic use of CP or Copper is a good idea. Just not sure you need all the meds you listed, for every fish.

Heres the link, https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/189815/ there are several more good reads in the stickies in the fish disease and treatment subforum

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do TTM and prazipro, this takes about 12 days. If you see anything else pop up, like velvet, it's easy enough to stop TTM and switch to CP or Copper.

If all looks good after TTM, observe and fatten up fish for remaining qt period. If anything else shows itself, like stringy poop or skin lesions etc, treat accordingly.

Have you read Humblefish's quarantine thread? Ill add a link.

If you can't observe the fish for subtle signs of disease, everyday for at least 15-20 minutes, then prophylactic use of CP or Copper is a good idea. Just not sure you need all the meds you listed, for every fish.

Heres the link, https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/189815/ there are several more good reads in the stickies in the fish disease and treatment subforum
I have no idea about ttm.. never heard of it. Please explain and do share the qt thread. Thanks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanomania How big is your DT? Just trying to get a feel for what kind/size fish will you be QT'ing.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanomania How big is your DT? Just trying to get a feel for what kind/size fish will you be QT'ing.
Dt will be 54x24x30" and sump will be 34x20x15" (lwh). i jus wana keep 3 to 4 tangs, 3 to 5 gobies, a pair of clowns, and many inverts. Might add chromis, not sure yet. Yellow, regal, powder and purple tangs. Can skip regal tang though. I dont want any angels or butterflies as i dont like any fish picking on corals. Wrasse im not sure.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish in there now? If you are in a fallow period already, add the inverts you want now, begin 76 day qt of inverts in the display. By the time you get a fish qt setup, and get your first batch through quarantine should be about done with the QT of the inverts in the display. Only do that if you have zero fish in the display.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish in there now? If you are in a fallow period already, add the inverts you want now, begin 76 day qt of inverts in the display. By the time you get a fish qt setup, and get your first batch through quarantine should be about done with the QT of the inverts in the display. Only do that if you have zero fish in the display.
Well currently i have a 42g system, but im upgrading to larger system, i have a fw planted tank same size, got rid of all the small fw tanks i had, jus this big1 left. So waiting for it. Ill be transfering all my current lr and sand to the new tank for faster cycling

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back