Fish randomly dying

fordthomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a fairly new tank, 3 to 4 weeks old, i upsized from a smaller tank and used some rock from that tank and put it in the sump to add bacteria for the new tank. The problem is I've had two fish die (Cori's wrasse, blue Tang)recently with no signs of ick or parasites. The other fish (clown, yellow Tang and goby are fine and healthy). I'm wondering if this is due to the new tank or something I'm missing. 65 gal with 20 gal sump. Parameters are near perfect, temp 78.5, salinity 1.025.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are near perfect parameters exact numbers will help with assisting you. There could have been a bacteria bloom in which case there was an ammonia spike that cause the fish to die. The stress from the move could have also been enough to kill a fish. How did you transfer the fish over to the new tank? Did the salinity match exactly along with temperature? Did you still acclimate them when adding the fish to the tank? Sorry a lot of questions but here to help determine the problem.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya + 1 with above there is so many questions as the possibility of what caused it I would suggest think about how the whole process went and if possible do a process of elimination

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old was the old tank? Maybe this is all just related to the tank(s) being too new for how much is in them?

OP
OP
fordthomas11

fordthomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank and fish stabilized, the ones that died were the first to go into the new tank. They were the only ones to die, so it must have just been the maturity of the tank. I'm now over 5 weeks in and the entire tank looks healthy and growing well

OP
OP
fordthomas11

fordthomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic
e8d63391b294479f0e6b16420bc7394c.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd honestly slow down a bit, that's a lot of stuff going into a 5 week old tank.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let the tank be for a month or longer let everything stabilize and your bacteria population increase and see how things go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back