Fish Room Build

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I am in the process of starting a new 150G reef tank and along with this I am going to convert my office bathroom to a fish room. I have just started the process and was hoping to get any ideas or suggestions from those who have done this before.

My bathroom is 66" x 97". My plan is to totally demo the space including removing the shower and shower wall and then put everything back in the most logical place. I do plan to keep the toilet in the bathroom so that will take up some space, but I will also move it to the most out of the way spot. I was thinking about two roughly 40G water containers so I could do a 20% water change. Then I would directly plumb my RODI unit to a water line (not sink as it is today.) I would have a utility sink and a floor drain. Not sure what else I should consider.

The room is 8' from where the aquarium will be so I should be able to run a hose out for water changes. The house sits on a crawl space so I probably could run some sort of plumbing through the crawl space as well if that would be helpful.

Here is a picture of where the aquarium will be with the bathroom door in the background. And then also a picture of the bathroom.

Thanks for your suggestions!

2022102406304134-2948725090690463845--XL.jpg

2022102406195125-13551520419572590-I-X2.jpg

chinkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the shower? You might be able to fit your water containers onto the existing shower pan and avoid the expense of trenching in a floor drain. I opted to use hot water heater pans under my water storage containers and plum a drain to the outside of the house which empties into my flower beds.

chinkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a clip from yesterday. Little over 100 days in. Have added Ice Cap UV sterilizer, and a GFO and Carbon reactor. Have not used the GFO side yet as I have no phosphate issues. Running 0 to .1 Phosphates, 0 Nitrites and 8 Nitrates. High MG and high Calcium. Still trying to get the dosing dialed in but everything is really happy-knock on wood! My refugium is kicking butt. Only running skimmer only 3 0r 4 days a week as the refugium is sucking up all the nutrients. Have my refugium light on 24/7 and will likely go to 18 on and 6 off pretty soon. My only gripe is still can't find any clean Chaeto from Algae Barn-always out of stock. I only have two types of brown macro algae in there but it's doing the job.
Sump1.jpg
sump2.jpg

Back