fish room design

Jbod77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've remodeled our basement which housed all the equipment for the living room DT on the 2nd floor. I got a fish room!! I'm trying to re-figure the plumbing layout and thought you all might have some input. Cabinet on bottom and on top. I have a 29gal that I drilled high on the back glass to drain back to sump. Previously, I had a wye on the drain line and that fed the sump. It always seemed like there wasn't enough flow to the sump; more of a trickle. The 29 sits higher than the sump so gravity feeds the return to the sump. The sump has 2 inlets on it and I had previously used a wyes to feed them both but again, low to no flow on one of the 2 inlets. My tank only has on drain so not sure if I'm better off capping one and only using one. So I've attached a sketch of my intentions. Please feel free to advise, critique, or question my layout. Tank has been running for over 10 years. Currently a bit of a mess since taking the sump off line and kinda letting go autopilot while we did the construction. Looking forward to hear what you all have to say.

IMG_0901(2).jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've remodeled our basement which housed all the equipment for the living room DT on the 2nd floor. I got a fish room!! I'm trying to re-figure the plumbing layout and thought you all might have some input. Cabinet on bottom and on top. I have a 29gal that I drilled high on the back glass to drain back to sump. Previously, I had a wye on the drain line and that fed the sump. It always seemed like there wasn't enough flow to the sump; more of a trickle. The 29 sits higher than the sump so gravity feeds the return to the sump. The sump has 2 inlets on it and I had previously used a wyes to feed them both but again, low to no flow on one of the 2 inlets. My tank only has on drain so not sure if I'm better off capping one and only using one. So I've attached a sketch of my intentions. Please feel free to advise, critique, or question my layout. Tank has been running for over 10 years. Currently a bit of a mess since taking the sump off line and kinda letting go autopilot while we did the construction. Looking forward to hear what you all have to say.

IMG_0901(2).jpg

Can you plumb the fuge and sump together? Doing this will help eliminate all the additional plumbing and allow you to simply have your tank overflow run directly into the fuge.

OP
OP
Jbod77

Jbod77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you plumb the fuge and sump together? Doing this will help eliminate all the additional plumbing and allow you to simply have your tank overflow run directly into the fuge.
Would that be too much flow for the fuge? and would a bulkhead mounted at the top of the 29 gallon be handle to handle to return into the sump? I was always afraid of flooding if i set it up that way.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that be too much flow for the fuge? and would a bulkhead mounted at the top of the 29 gallon be handle to handle to return into the sump? I was always afraid of flooding if i set it up that way.

No, it would not be too much flow for the fuge. Essentially, you would make it into one big sump connected by a bulkhead in the fuge connected to a bulkhead in the sump. BTW - I would place the bulkhead in the fuge about 3 - 4" from the bottom and place a corresponding/lined up bulkhead in the sump doing away with any gravity feed from the fuge to the sump. You could control the level of the system (tune) with a valve placed on the OF pipe to the fuge and another on the pipe from the pump to the tank. However, I would install true-union valves so that it can all be taken apart, if need be. Keep in mind, though, that most AC pumps are designed to run at full capacity. I hope this makes some sense to you.

How is your return plumbed into the tank? In other words, do you have it hard-plumbed over the rim or is it a reef ready set up?

Edit; not 3-4" but 10-11" from bottom of the 29 gal.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 37 28.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back