Fish room layout

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up my fishroom, approx 10x10, with 6'x2.5' taken up by the tank, 2'x6' taken up by laundry sink and water changing station. What are the things I need to plan for?

Here is my list. What am I missing?
* Tank/sump -- most equipment will be in the sump under the stand. Mount controllers, monitors, and switches, with hooks for nets, scrapers, feeding tools on side of stand or adjacent wall
* Water changing: 2x55g drums + laundry sink, two shelves above the drums to hold salt, misc. equipment like tools, extra T5 bulbs, extra heaters and pumps, as well as topoff and waste containers for a DIY water changing station and an ATO (goes on floor if too heavy) -- shelves are rated for 1,000 lbs each.
* Floor drain near the sump
* Workbench where i'll do parameter testing, fragging, and any plankton culturing (phyto, brine shrimp, etc.) w/comfortable chair
* Quarantine tank on a stand -- I have a 20- and 30- gallon tank, so one of those -- set up both? Store medications, nets, airline tubing for acclimatizing drips underneath
* Dehumidifier (the whole house electrical panel is in the room!)
* Dorm fridge (freezer for fish food, fridge for beer)
* Replace overhead light fixture (warm lighting) with long fluorescent shop light

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up my fishroom, approx 10x10, with 6'x2.5' taken up by the tank, 2'x6' taken up by laundry sink and water changing station. What are the things I need to plan for?

Here is my list. What am I missing?
* Tank/sump -- most equipment will be in the sump under the stand. Mount controllers, monitors, and switches, with hooks for nets, scrapers, feeding tools on side of stand or adjacent wall
* Water changing: 2x55g drums + laundry sink, two shelves above the drums to hold salt, misc. equipment like tools, extra T5 bulbs, extra heaters and pumps, as well as topoff and waste containers for a DIY water changing station and an ATO (goes on floor if too heavy) -- shelves are rated for 1,000 lbs each.
* Floor drain near the sump
* Workbench where i'll do parameter testing, fragging, and any plankton culturing (phyto, brine shrimp, etc.) w/comfortable chair
* Quarantine tank on a stand -- I have a 20- and 30- gallon tank, so one of those -- set up both? Store medications, nets, airline tubing for acclimatizing drips underneath
* Dehumidifier (the whole house electrical panel is in the room!)
* Dorm fridge (freezer for fish food, fridge for beer)
* Replace overhead light fixture (warm lighting) with long fluorescent shop light
Sound like a plan to me..

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would permanently set up only one QT/hospital, and keep the second in storage. If disaster strikes, you can always do the second as a temporary thing.

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would permanently set up only one QT/hospital, and keep the second in storage. If disaster strikes, you can always do the second as a temporary thing.

I will confess that in my last tank I never quarantined corals. How do you deal with QTs for both fish and corals? If you treat with copper you can't keep corals or other inverts in there, right? (In 5 years of quarantining fish I never once had a sick patient to treat).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back