Fish shipping mortality rate

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have ordered about 15 fish and i had 1DOA and 1 died hours after and 3 died days after

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see the same innovation in livestock (fish specifically) as there is in the rest of the hobby. Every couple months there's a new module for a reef controller, new additive, DC pump, etc. but hobbyists are still purchasing diseased fish where all involved accept that nothing is able to be done on the collection, wholesale and retail side to ensure the health of the animal.

Barring some technical advance in treatment or testing; if the innovation came in the form of paid services like a quarantine/treatment upon purchase would be a step in the right direction. Or, a guarantee that captive bred fish are kept separate from wild fish at the wholesaler/retailer.

My understanding is that whatever is done by wholesalers and retailers is strictly cosmetic to ensure the appearance of a healthy fish prior to purchase.(?) This would be completely unacceptable if it were applied to any other livestock purchase. I wouldn't even consider adopting a dog from the humane society if it came with the assumption of mange and worms but included handy instructions for an extended quarantine procedure and medications.
When mammals go from country to country they are subject to an extensive quarantine by the government. This is not required for fish.

A proper quarantine should be implemented somewhere in the chain. For the industry it is more cost effective to have it done on the user end.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back