Fish shipping mortality rate

A777flygirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my first fish online from Liveaquaria to have it arrive upside down with its mouth open dead... :(

I am wondering what the survivability rate is for shipping Fish?

This was very upsetting and I don't know if I want to try it again but the awesome selection on line when you live so far awasy from any LFS is so tempting.

Thanks for your input!

VietExtender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered from live aquaria, saltwaterfish, and pet solution. My ranking for these sites are: pet solution, live aquaria, then saltwaterfish. I usually get more doa (mainly wrasses) with saltwaterfish and live aquaria than with pet solutions. Could be that pet solutions add a ton more water with bigger bags.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree, about 10% ..... as long as FEDEX isn't delivering LOL. For some reason, where I live they are almost incapable of delivering ontime. Still waiting for my 10:30 am overnight box ..... sigh. Hopefully not DoA.

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree, about 10% ..... as long as FEDEX isn't delivering LOL. For some reason, where I live they are almost incapable of delivering ontime. Still waiting for my 10:30 am overnight box ..... sigh. Hopefully not DoA.
I thought it was just Brooklyn Fedex that was terrible...

VietExtender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s the opposite for me [emoji33]. FedEx comes to me earlier and UPS even had a machine malfunction which caused my order of corals come a day later.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the opposite for me [emoji33]. FedEx comes to me earlier and UPS even had a machine malfunction which caused my order of corals come a day later.

I think it depends a lot on where you live. I avoid FEDEX like the proverbial plague because they frequently screw up (when I saw my BlueZoo shipment was coming via FEDEX I doth groan). UPS is almost perfect.

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a great anemone from Divers Den Live aquaria still doing great and a couple of fish that lasted a few days but maybe not their fault - who knows

Rattooth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had excellent results with all on line dealers. I have used Live Aquaria the most. Maybe one dead fish in twenty years.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was experiencing a lot of DOA or they would last a day or two with live aquaria in the last month or so. I have one fish living out of 14. It is still doing well in QT. I just ordered from bluezoo, and all arrived alive. I will use them now.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s remember that LFS get fish shipped to them in bags, often from the same sources that LA and Petsolutions (both come direct from Quality Marine and never see either facility, believe it or not) come from.

Unfortunately, DOA happens. I’ve had the fewest DOA with @NYAquatic and Divers Den (separate location that ships from their Wisconsin location, not from QM directly). But for Divers Den this makes sense, as they go through separate quarantine.

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered fish from Unique Corals to Live Aquaria to individual hobbyists. Not a single mortality in about a dozen or more fish shipped.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s remember that LFS get fish shipped to them in bags, often from the same sources that LA and Petsolutions (both come direct from Quality Marine and never see either facility, believe it or not) come from.

Unfortunately, DOA happens. I’ve had the fewest DOA with @NYAquatic and Divers Den (separate location that ships from their Wisconsin location, not from QM directly).

I’m betting we would be pretty disheartened to see the morality rate through the whole supply chain. 50% maybe?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m betting we would be pretty disheartened to see the morality rate through the whole supply chain. 50% maybe?
Oh I’m sure it’s high. Not sure it’s that high but fit some species that’s probably about right!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was experiencing a lot of DOA or they would last a day or two with live aquaria in the last month or so. I have one fish living out of 14. It is still doing well in QT. I just ordered from bluezoo, and all arrived alive. I will use them now.

I'm at 3 of 8 still alive right now. Anthais have been dropping due to what appears to be a bacterial infection. This is over the last 8 days. Disheartening to say the least. Out of ten total from LA none have been DOA however.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't be anywhere near 50% overall, otherwise it would be insustainable.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not so sure about that. If you take the number of fish collected initially from the ocean as the denominator and the number of fish still alive initially in consumers tanks as the numerator, I'd bet it's actually worse than 50%. Buddy of mine who used to run a fish wholesale business always figured that less than 1 in 10 fish collected were still alive after one year.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see the same innovation in livestock (fish specifically) as there is in the rest of the hobby. Every couple months there's a new module for a reef controller, new additive, DC pump, etc. but hobbyists are still purchasing diseased fish where all involved accept that nothing is able to be done on the collection, wholesale and retail side to ensure the health of the animal.

Barring some technical advance in treatment or testing; if the innovation came in the form of paid services like a quarantine/treatment upon purchase would be a step in the right direction. Or, a guarantee that captive bred fish are kept separate from wild fish at the wholesaler/retailer.

My understanding is that whatever is done by wholesalers and retailers is strictly cosmetic to ensure the appearance of a healthy fish prior to purchase.(?) This would be completely unacceptable if it were applied to any other livestock purchase. I wouldn't even consider adopting a dog from the humane society if it came with the assumption of mange and worms but included handy instructions for an extended quarantine procedure and medications.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back