Fish Size - Wild vs Captivity

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that most fish have a longer life expectancy in the wild versus in captivity, does the same apply for the size of the fish in that in the wild they get much much larger than kept in captivity?

I don't necessary understand the science why fish don't/can't grow to their natural size in an aquarium, or the fact that they don't live as long as well in captivity, so if anyone can chime in that'll be appreciative of.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that most fish have a longer life expectancy in the wild versus in captivity, does the same apply for the size of the fish in that in the wild they get much much larger than kept in captivity?

I don't necessary understand the science why fish don't/can't grow to their natural size in an aquarium, or the fact that they don't live as long as well in captivity, so if anyone can chime in that'll be appreciative of.

I did an informal study on this years ago using the maximum size of fish listed on fish base.org compared to the length fish reached in public aquariums. These were long term captives, so full growth was assumed. There is some variation between species, but on average I found that fish reached about 80% of the fish base maximum length.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back