Fish slapping the sand and rubbing on rocks

Woodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have recently noticed some of my fish rubbing on rocks and slapping their sides into the sand. I don't see anything on them. At first I thought it was just my wrasse showing its dominance, but now most of my fish are doing it.

I'm thinking it's flukes, however I'm in Canada and not sure what I can get or use to help the situation. I would like to use something in my Dt, as I would have yo tear everything down to get them all out.

Does anyone have any ideas Or suggestions?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

I have recently noticed some of my fish rubbing on rocks and slapping their sides into the sand. I don't see anything on them. At first I thought it was just my wrasse showing its dominance, but now most of my fish are doing it.

I'm thinking it's flukes, however I'm in Canada and not sure what I can get or use to help the situation. I would like to use something in my Dt, as I would have yo tear everything down to get them all out.

Does anyone have any ideas Or suggestions?

Thanks!
Praziquantel (praziPro ) is the treatment for flukes or Roby Rally assuming its flukes.
One way to tell is to give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in a clean container the same temperature as the display tank. After 5 minutes, look on bottom of container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. Those will be flukes. This is a measure for temporary relief and not a cure

OP
OP
W

Woodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel (praziPro ) is the treatment for flukes or Roby Rally assuming its flukes.
One way to tell is to give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in a clean container the same temperature as the display tank. After 5 minutes, look on bottom of container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. Those will be flukes. This is a measure for temporary relief and not a cure
I was looking at prazipro, however I'm in Canada where it and many other meds seem to be banned from sale.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at prazipro, however I'm in Canada where it and many other meds seem to be banned from sale.

Some Canadians have been able to get Prazipro, but I suspect they are ordering it from the US illegally.

Your legal options are limited. None of the "tonics" that they are allowed to sell in Canada will work on flukes. One option is hyposalinity, but of course, you would need to move all of your fish to a treatment tank for that, as invertebrates won't tolerate that.

Jay

OP
OP
W

Woodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Canadians have been able to get Prazipro, but I suspect they are ordering it from the US illegally.

Your legal options are limited. None of the "tonics" that they are allowed to sell in Canada will work on flukes. One option is hyposalinity, but of course, you would need to move all of your fish to a treatment tank for that, as invertebrates won't tolerate that.

Jay
Thanks for this.

Back